Monday, January 24, 2011

Meet Me In St. Louis



Where do I start?!
In August 2010 I auditioned for the musical "Meet Me In St. Louis" with a Christian, homeschool, fine arts company where God was leading me to be involved...The last five months have been an amazing experience being completely surrendered to God's will, and seeing Him lead in every way.  He is faithful.

I was cast as Lon Smith, an enthusiastic, effervescent, college-freshman at Princeton University and the oldest sibling, and only brother in the Smith family.



 Meet Me in St. Louis is an optimistic musical set just before the 1904 World’s Fair.  Join the Smith family as their love and respect for one another is tempered with genuine humor during hard times. This rare treasure of musical theatre includes such familiar songs as “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” “The Trolley Song” and “The Boy Next Door.”

The musical unfolds as the people of St. Louis are busy preparing for the nearly 20 million people who would visit the World’s Fair. Not only was the fair the most expansive exhibition of its kind to ever be planned, and it would also host the third Olympic games.

After years of preparation and excitement for this magnificent event, the Smith family is struck with the prospect of moving. While Mr. Smith anticipates introducing the family to the excitement of “A Day in New York,” his family cannot imagine leaving St. Louis and the Fair. In particular, Esther Smith cannot imagine leaving “The Boy Next Door,” John Truitt. Ultimately, beyond misunderstandings and some delightful mishap, this is a story of commitment to family and consideration of others.
 
 
 
Through the journey of this theatrical performance, God has taught me so much about myself and about others as well. He has brought to the surface, things I never knew about myself, and has given me the opportunity to learn and process and grow in Him.  Being an actor in "Meet Me In St. Louis" was a once in a lifetime experience and God has blessed me tremendously through it.
 
 
 
One amazing blessing, was the chance I had to be on the devotion team with four other teens where we would take turns writing devotions to share with the cast at our weekly rehearsals.  This was a wonderful opportunity to grow in the Lord and practice leadership qualities.  
 
 
 
One of my very favorite blessings was the like-minded friends that God brought into my life. There are three young men and I that became wonderful friends during the show.  We laughed together, cried together, discussed weaknesses, and shared encouragement, being genuine, and transparent.  One of my favorite moments of the entire show was during our last evening, when faced with several significant difficulties with the cast, us foursome were being counted on to take charge, be leaders, and protect.  It was a staggering responsibility in need of wisdom that only comes from the Lord.  So weighty were the matters at hand, and being nearly overwhelmed, one of the friends was really struggling.  Amidst the show, standing back stage, the other three of us gathered around and prayed for strength, wisdom and the fruit of the Holy Spirit as tears ran down our other "brother's" cheek falling silently to the stage floor below.  It was such a wonderful moment of God drawing us together and encouraging each other. 
 
 
I can truly say that Jesus led me all the way.  Through challenges, friendships, learning opportunities, and fun, God's hand of blessing was evident and intricately woven through the fibers of the production.


May the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you!
Joshua 

11 comments:

Amber Noella said...

Looks like so much fun! I like acting, too!

Bethany said...

You did an amazing job Josh! What a great opportunity for you!

~Bethany~

Linda said...

Wow! What an awesome experience. It looks like it would have been so much fun.

I am so glad the Lord was leading you and your friends.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Regan Family Farm said...

You did an absolutely FANTASTIC job, and we could not be more proud of you! God has blessed US beyond measure by giving you to us. Congratulations on an amazing performance~we love you :)

Joshua said...

You can do the tag as well Josh, if you want too.

That is wonderful bro. I am glad that Christ was evident in your life throughout the performance and that you were blessed tremendously. God bless you my Jonathan.

Your David,
Joshua :)

-Emily said...

Hi Josh, it looks like you had an amazing experience! My family was on their way to the Thursday evening performance of Meet Me in St. Louis but experienced vehicle difficulties and had to turn back. My sister Mercy is in the Kalamazoo HPA group and is currently rehearsing for "Annie get Your Gun". I have been really impressed with the HPA performances that I have gone to. Congratulations on the job well done!
-Emily Smith

Jennifer said...

VERY encouraging post Josh! Thank you for posting!

~Jenn

Catherine Anne said...

Way to go Josh! I am so happy for you. Even more I am happy to see you surrendering to God's will for your life! Blessings, Catherine Anne

Lilac Bud Gal said...

Wow, that sounds like loads of fun! I think doing a musical would be great!

That is really neat how God worked in your, and other's, life through all of that. Isn't He amazing?

We recently started up our own drama group (which has been quite the adventure). It is really nice to meet other 'young folk' that want to honor and Glorify God throughout the whole thing. :)

Blessings!

In Christ's Service,
Sarah

Unknown said...

It sounds like it was a wonderful play! I wish I could have been there to see it!

You inspire me to go deeper with the friends that I have, to go beyond the simple easy things of life, to get down to the nitty gritty.
Thanks for being a light in the dark Josh!
Paul

Unknown said...

Wow!! That must've been such a neat experience!! Congrats on getting cast :)