Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

Our family Thanksgiving celebration is at our house this year,and the whole house is buzzing with excitement! We are cleaning the house in eager anticipation of our coming guests and there seems to be a endless amount of food being prepared. I just finished making Pumkin Fudge, my uncle's favorite. As we are preparing for our Thanksgiving I've started to think about the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving.

"They were hunted and persecuted on every side, until their former afflictions were but as fleabitings in comparison. Some were clapped into prison; others had their houses watched by night and day, and escaped with difficulty; and most were obligated to fly, and leave their homes and means of livelihood. Yet these and many other even severer trials which afterwards befell them, being only what they expected, they were able to bear by the assistance of God's grace and spirit." William Bradford
In England the separatists were persecuted for their beliefs, yet they stood firm in their convictions and they didn't compromise. How amazing to think of how much faith they had in God that they would go to a nearly untouched part of the world to have the freedom to worship according to their convictions, what trust they must have had. The first Thanksgiving was a feast of gratefulness to God for his goodness to them and their first year at plymouth
I am so thankful for my God and savior Jesus Christ, for my freedom to worship without fear of being persecuted, for my family,my home,food and clothes. Also for my animals and all the other "extras" God has blessed me with, I am so thankful. This Thanksgiving as you celebrate the day remember God's providence, the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving.

What are you thankful for?

Josh

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!

1. I'm thankful for God saving me and redeeming me for His purposes!

2. I'm thankful for family and friends. I know that sounds awful "cliche-ish," but it's true.

3. I'm thankful that this remodeling project is going to be done by Monday. :)

Anonymous said...

Y'all have a BLESSED Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

The first paragraph does a really nice job setting the mood for the post, and then segues smoothly into the body of your post. Nice job. Something I wish I could learn.

Somebody should tell me to stop typing. I guess I will. "Elliot! Stop typing!"


TTYL, and God bless! :)

Bethany said...

1. I'm thankful that Jesus died for my sins and rose to give us a new life!

2. I'm thankful for freedom in our country.

3. I'm thankful for a wonderful family and awesome friends! :)

4. I'm thankful for God's love.

Enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving!
~Bethany~

andreea said...

you know..i'm always wondering how could they resist to tortures and other things that harmed their human body...i often think that i couldn't resist to any pain...and i fell so weak because of this..and i pray God to strenghten me and to help me guard and fulfill His Word..in any situation...