Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The virtue of hard work


Do you like to spend a long day cleaning the house, cutting the lawn, washing the car, pulling weeds out of the flower beds, garden, or organizing the garage?
Honestly, it's not my idea of fun, but when I fall into bed exhausted from a rigorous yet productive day of hard work, there is a feeling of fulfillment.

Since I've been very young, my parents have taught me that it is important to persevere and learn to have a good work ethic. In no way have I perfected this character quality as I periodically struggle with feelings of laziness, a lack of enthusiasm and diligence. However, I recognize the value of learning to work hard.

" For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat." 2 Thessalonians 3:10
Webster's dictionary defines work as:
1. To labor; to be occupied in performing manual labor, whether severe or moderate.
"And whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord and not to men."
Colossians 3:23

So why does it matter? Knowing that a good work ethic pleases the Lord, I want to be that young man that is hard-working, anticipates and meets needs, exceeds expectations, and does so with a cheerful, God-honoring attitude.

God Bless,

Josh

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Ditto. I want to be the same young man as well Josh. Well written and well done. I could not have said it any better. Great job brother. :)

In Christ,
Joshua :)

Bethany said...

Good post Josh! Working always makes me feel like I have accomplished something. We have been so busy all spring that since now we are all caught up on work I feel like I'm being lazy. Yesterday (it was raining) we were all inside watching a movie in the middle of the day and it just felt weird. ;)

See you tomorrow!
~Bethany~

LocaChica said...

We need more posts like this! Thanks for putting it so plainly and reminding us all how important a good work ethic is :)

LocaChica