...Hogs! Our 4-H Hogs came during my uncle's college graduation party on Saturday! There are: 2 Hampshire barrows, 1 Yorkshire gilt, 1 blue butt gilt, 1 red band gilt, and 1 Duroc gilt for a total of 2 barrows and 4 gilts. Jenna and I each get two to show at the fair, as well as an extra just in case something should happen to one. The hogs weigh about 45 lbs now, but will need to gain about 240 more to reach 290 by fair!
Here's the details for Bethany and anyone else who cares! The gilts, along with being very long bodied, have wonderful muscling as well -very defined and correct- and should gain weight quite nicely. They have great feet and legs and gait very smoothly, so, I'm naturally very excited show at the fair and see how they do...
We let the hogs in the outdoor pen for the first time today. Although only for a few hours, they were already on the verge of sunburn and I might have to put aloe on their backs!( that should be fun)
Josh
6 comments:
I saw the pictures on Jenna's blog! They look awesome! Can you get any more on? I understand if you can't....they are hard to get good pictures of! lol! I can't wait for fair either but it is coming fast! I haven't had mine out too much but I'm about ready to move them outside.
So which ones are yours? Is Abigail going to show hogs eventually or is she not interested?
Miss you all!
~Bethany~
Sounds like a good time, Josh!! Have fun with that aloe applying!! Mini horses sometimes sunburn their noses and that is alot of working getting them to stand still. I can't imagine how much more work getting aloe on a hog would be!!!
Bethany~ I will try to get more pics up soon. Jenna and I are still in the process of who's hogs are whose... Abigail is interested, but Mom thought we should go slow and stick with the goats for now. However, Abigail may do them next year!
'becca~ It's probably similar.
The mini's toss their heads around like crazy and the pigs jump when you touch their back. You just have to get close enough with a bunch of aloe on your hand and then quickly smear it on their back before they run!
God bless you both,
Josh
That would be kind of tricky putting aloe on a hog's back! ;D
In response to the comment on our family blog- I followed because I liked your blog title, and you had some good posts up.
Just for future reference- the Joyful Chaos blog is mostly my mom's- Teenage Musings is mine. :)
When is the fair Josh? How fast do the hogs grow?
In Christ,
Joshua :)
Post a Comment