Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shine!


I want to shine. Not shine like an academy award-winner, or the latest chart-topping pop star, but shine with the light of Jesus to those around me. As I go about my day, helping siblings, and interacting with others, I want to shine with a light that points to the Lord. When people see me or talk with me, it is my prayer that they see the light of Jesus radiating from my life.
It is hard to be submerged into an atmosphere that is sometimes unwholesome, but with Jesus' help, I go out as a soldier ready to spread the word and be the light of God to those around me. Prayer is my continual weapon as I interact with people groups like these.

While I have debated whether or not they are good things for me to be involved with, my parents and I mutually concluded that it is wonderful practice not only to stand alone on my convictions, but also shine for Jesus and do my best to set an example. When I am asked why I do not "____", I am given the opportunity to share what God has shown me, and how How He wants us to live.
I do not attempt to praise myself for my noble aspirations, because in fact, I feel weak and inadequate many times. But with the Lord on my side, the victory is won.

As I interact with those around me, I want to shine. I want them to see Jesus in me. I want to stand up for what I believe in, and give an answer for the hope that is within me.

Dear Lord, may I shine like a light in a dark room to those around me. May they see Jesus shining through me and glorify you!

Who will shine with me?

26 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm right here standing with you and for you, brother! How thankful I am, that you let the Lord use you in each situation and that YOU want to shine a light for HIM:)

I'm so proud of you...to think that you're my twin...wow:) Oh yes, to have a *perfect* momma AND an amazing twin. I'm a blessed girl!!!

Tahl said...

Keep shining for Christ! I'll pray that you'll be a light to all those around you. =)

Kade said...

"Shine on, shine on
And let the others see
You've got your victory"

Heard "Shine on" by Needtobreathe?

Boy, I sure do wanna shine! It seems like you've got the opportunity! Grab it man!

Go Hard

Kelsianne said...

Excellent post!

It's saddening to me that among the Christian circles, generally speaking, there seems to be no difference from the world. Sometimes it's hard to tell the two apart! That is why it is so important that we are a witness for Jesus Christ, not around non-believers alone, but to fellow believers as well.
A very though provoking post.
I pray that I would not be a detraction, but an example of God working through somone who is imperfect and undeserving of His amazing grace.
God Bless,
Kelsey

Rachel said...

Oh Josh, I will be glad to shine with you! I am sort of in the same boat with being at college during the week, and hearing their language, and what they do is sad to hear. I have also been asking the Lord to help me as well be a light to those around me. There is a Bible verse that says to be in the world, but not of the world.
Oh Father, Help us be a true example for You!

God bless you, brother in Christ!

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,

I absolutely can totally relate. I do theatre a lot at my community theatre (which is not a Christian theatre) and I'm just appalled at how trashy things can get. I've discovered that it's a "theatre thing" which is sad, but its what I've encountered in all the theatre I've done.
As for the Christians not being very Christ-like, I understand that as well. I go to youth rallies (which are a bunch of teenagers getting together to worship God and grow spiritually for a weekend) I am SHOCKED at the things I hear from the professed "Christian" teenagers.
So...that was long, but I feel ya, and I'm praying for you. Shine your light.

~Morgan

Lexi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amber Noella said...

Me!! Ya know Josh, I want to shine too. But I have a hard time telling people those things whenever I'm given the chance because I don't know what to say or how to say it to the point where I don't sound like I think I am perfect.
You know what I mean?

What things can I say? I'm not afraid if they think I'm weird for being a God-lover, but I really don't want to come off pushy, or a know-it all, or that I think I'm "holier than thou"...

Allison said...

Amen to that, Josh! I totally want to shine with you! But I must admit, I have a lot eaiser time sharing on my blog than in real life. When I have the chance to share face to face, I usually back away with some excuse to myself. With Jesus' help, though, I am learning to stand up and shine!
~Alli

Kaitlin said...

Josh,
I've never even seen you or talked to you in person,but I can absolutely,with no question,say that you shine for Jesus!Just reading your blog,hearing what you have to say,shows me that you love the Lord.

I am sorry that all of those people talk the way they do,but maybe they will also see your shining light for God as I have.

Kaitlin

Stephanie said...

Kelsey said: "That is why it is so important that we are a witness for Jesus Christ, not around non-believers alone, but to fellow believers as well." So true!

Thanks for this post. It's inspiring to know there are other Christians who aspire to SHINE for Him too! I have soooo much work to do in this area, but I think the desire to shine is the first step.

Lord, give us grace to be lights for You, pointing those we encounter closer to Jesus Christ.

Cinnamon said...

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven"
Matthew 5:16

Praise the Lord for such a great Mama (whom I think is wonderful too)

Thank you for sharing your struggles and thoughts. I love being able to get a peek into your life as I have some boys almost your age~

~Cinnamon

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh, I'm Kristy... my 16 year old daughter Skye and I follow your Blog, your sisters and your mom's. I saw this post and knew I would be telling my daughter to read this. What a great post!

I love your soul and your strength. You're right... it's tough bringing Jesus to people like you described. I used to be a professional singer. Only I wasn't around Christians. It was hard to be around that and not let it affect me.

Both my daughter and I admire your convictions and are praying for you. *hugs*

Lauren Lee Fischer said...

Wow Josh, thank you for posting this. I think you have "shone" already through what you have written. It is such an encouragement. I know how it is to be immersed suddenly into an atmosphere like that - all the more difficult, when those people are professing Christians. Keep standing firm for him, brother in Christ! I know He will use you to be a testimony to those even older than yourself.

Lauren Lee

Morgan H said...

Hey,

I found your blog a little while back and I've been reading for a month or so now. I just wanted to say that I think you're a pretty amazing guy and it's refreshing to see that there ARE still guys out there like you. I am a freshman in high school and I attend a public school, but for the first 13 years of my life I was homeschooled. I enjoyed that, but I felt the need to branch out a bit more so I made the switch to the public school system for my first year of HS. At first I was appalled by the language and profanity coming from peers, but I have learned to block it out and found a group of well-taught and intelligent christian friends that help me live my life well. Outside of my group of friends I am known as 'the smart goody two shoes christian girl' - meant to be a bad thing but I take it as a compliment :) anyways I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy your blog and that you seem like a really awesome person..wish there was more boys like you at my school lol =)

God bless you and your family,
Morgan

Joshua said...

I Will, my Jonathan. You are living out Ephesians 5:4, keep it up! Abound in thanksgiving, my brother.

In Christ,
Joshua

Prairie Momma said...

Thank you for sharing. May the Lord continue to shine through you to those who need to see it.
It may seem funny, but the song that came to mind when I read this was "this little light of mine". I keep thinking of the verse, "Hide it under a bush, oh no! I'm gonna let it shine".
Keep up Christ's work and He will be glorified through you!
In Him,
Sarah Heckendorn

Elizabeth said...

Hi Josh!

Thanks for sharing! I'm praying for you to shine! Part of the reason I love Homeschool Performing Arts is that it is totally and intentionally Christian (i.e. we pray openly, and take turns doing devos...). Most of the kids seem to have a very close relationship with Jesus Christ, and it is encouraging to be around them!

I hope to see you soon!

Elizabeth

Stephanie said...

So I know I already commented, but I just wanted to share this Kirk Cameron quote that I found that I thought kind of went off of what you were saying.

"I'm not sure where it is more difficult to be salt and light; in Hollywood or the Bible Belt. One loves the darkness and hates the light, the other has a form of light, but often denies it with darkness cloaked in 'Southern hospitality' and old time religion. Of course, true Christians are everywhere and God has placed them there to effectively impact people with the life changing gospel - proclaimed and lived out."

C said...

I will stand wth you to Shine the "ight" of Jesus!
My Dad knew what it was like to shine the Light of Jesus and He did until His very last breathe!
Thank you for the encouragment and I will be praying for you and your group!
GOD bless!

Jaimi_C said...

Thanks for sharing this story. I think this is an almost everyday occurence among self-professed Christians. We act one way on Sunday's, but then the rest of the week it's time to let loose. But sometime we as Christians can go weak and stop shining and it takes another fellow believer strong in their faith to shine their light on us and remind us just what we are and what we need to be for God.
So good job to you for shining away and keep praying that your light will shine on them and remind them of God's love and promises.

Jaimi

Skye said...

Wow! What an awesome post. :) I'm with you 100%, I want to shine for my Heavenly Father too! I bet God is smiling down on you ever time you go around those people and "SHINE." Great job, Josh. Thank you for sharing! :D

Skye

The Warrior said...

If you have a few moments, I'd like you to read my latest blog post if you could. Then comment, please!

Spencer

Patrick Coffey said...

I was pretty horrified when I started to get around Christ professing people that have garbage mouths too. It reminds me to keep praying for them, and to be an example. Thanks for a great reminder to keep shining.

Patrick

Unknown said...

Hi Josh. Well, unfortunately, the dark and perverted world is the one we all live in. It is hard to listen to it and witness it, but it's awesome to shine as a light for Christ in it. We are left her to offer hope through our lives and show something different - something lovely.

So, I'm with your mom and dad - it's great that you, at your age, as a Christian young man - can shine for Christ. Do it your whole life!!!

Love,
(Aunt) Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Amen. You might want to check out the Francis Chan article recently posted on www.therebelution.com/blog I found it to be wonderfully convicting, and it ties right in with your post.

Blessings,
---