If you have been wondering: "What is Josh doing?", you are about to find out. by this time, you may have already guessed it, judging from the title of this post.
I have been BUSY with kidding season! At the time of my last post, we were expecting goats any day, but I forgot to share that with you all! That afternoon, Tenn kidded. Because the doe kid was coming out breech, I had to assist and pull it out! To read the whole story check out Jenna's Blog.
Saturday, my doe Jazz kidded. The birth went well, but because she is narrow in the pelvis, I helped to speed up the process and pulled out two healthy doe kids! We got the birth on camera, and maybe I can get it up!
Sunday, Twist kidded with two lovely twin does as well and we nearly missed it! She had the easiest birth by far, and required minimal intervention
Monday, Triumph...Well, Triumph was NOT easy. With a monster buck in a little yearling doe, things can get a little tricky. Check out the video of Triumph.
Oh, and today, I went out to do chores and I noticed my little yearling doe was laying in the corner with a listless look on her face. Thinking it was strange, I watched her for a moment before I dismissed my worry and began to milk the cow. When Jenna noticed the same thing, I went into the pen and saw mucus. It dawned on me that my little Shenanigans was aborting her baby. Around 9:30 this morning, I found 8 inch fetus in the pen. It was a buck, and I could even see that is would have wattles! It was pretty cool.

I figure that perhaps the aborting was for the best, seeing that it will give her more time to grow before the showing season and milking won't slow her down.
Anyway, that is the news for the day. Since last Thursday, more time has been spent in the barn and feeding babies, than in the house!! Now we only have three more does to kid this season.
We are getting a LaMancha buckling from California this spring and he was just born a few days ago. He is really a handsome little guy, with simply amazing genetics that we can't wait to encorporate into our herd!
My little buddy Ferdinand (Have you ever read the book? Isn't it the sweetest?!), is doing great, and has recently transitioned from drinking from a bottle, to drinking from a bucket. He is growing fast, and although he has a definite knack for being pesty, he really is adorable(when he's not hungry)!
8 comments:
Yes, it has been a crazy couple of days, hasn't it?! I'm so sorry that Shenanigans aborted, but I agree that it will give her some more time to grow and mature:)
Thank you so much for your phenominal vet skills hehehe:)
Love you,
Jenna
The one cool thing about today: Seeing how developed that little fetus was...simply incredible.
Congrats on your new goats! We had a cow abort twins, which was really neat to see the growth of the calves at that stage. Sorta wish we still had goats... =)
Prayers,
Esther
Thank-you for the update Josh!
Blessings,
Kelsey
All of my goats were LaManchas and Nubians... they are my favorite! Is this your first Lamancha?
That's sad about the little buck:(
~Alli
Josh,no offense,but i couldnt finish watching the videos,they were nasty...:D We don't have goats or cows or anything,so I'm not used to that!I kind of have a weak stomach.
And yes,Ferdinand is absolutely adorable!
Oh, Ferdinand is SO cute. That was one of my favorite book as a kid! I'm glad that momma cow finally had a baby!!!
Spring wouldn't be spring without little kids running around the place! Your goats are gorgeous! The buckling that you will be getting from CA looks really nice, he stands like a champ! :) Happy spring!
Post a Comment