Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Beauty of Modesty Part 2

This post is to answer the question posed at the end of my first post on Modesty

Why would a guy care?

With a culture supporting, expecting, and encouraging temporary relationships and the fulfillment of sexual pleasure, most men don't care about women who clothe themselves modestly and embrace their femininity.  In fact, more than just not caring, most guys dislike (at a minimum dismiss) women who don't conform to the seductive standards set by the modern/contemporary world, labeling them as "holier-than-thou" and "prudes". 
Sensuality, lewdness, and seduction is rampant in our society. With every magazine cover and clothing advertisement  broadcasting sensuality, our world has been saturated with sexual perversion everywhere we look. If you don't believe me, go take a walk through the mall or the checkout lane of the grocery store!  

Because "easy girls" are there for the taking by society's sex-driven men, a guy who wants to fulfill sexual desires doesn't appreciate women who clothe themselves modestly and don't provide opportunities for them to act upon the desires. 

However, for a young man who loves Jesus Christ, is striving to serve the Lord, and wants to stay pure according to God's holy Word, a woman who dresses modestly and adorns herself with femininity is immensely encouraging. 

When a woman clothes herself modestly and is striving to please the Lord, she is not only obeying God, but she is also aware and showing respect to men who want to keep their mind, body and soul pure. By covering themselves, these ladies are protecting their own purity as well as protecting other young men's eyes and heart. When a women walks by with a pair of skin-tight jeans, plunging neckline and swinging her derriere to beat the band, that is not helpful for a man. But for a lady who is covering her body in modest clothing, and carrying herself with graceful femininity, she is protecting that very same man from stumbling and falling into lust.   

As for me, I would like to thank each and every young lady who is defying the cultural "normal" and dressing modestly. Because I am saving my heart and body for my future wife, every time I see a young woman doing the same, that encourages me. I see that they are seeking to protect their brothers in the Lord from stumbling, and may the young men committed to purity do no less for our sisters in Christ.  Don't stop ladies! There ARE men who appreciate you, though they may be few, and far between.  Even if their were no men who appreciated the stand that you are taking, God does and that is most important! Press on!

Regarding the last post, I wanted to address two things.

I have a question......do you consider someone who is dressed in modest pants, not embracing their femininity?

Thank you for you question! While under certain circumstances, pants are the most appropriate choice of clothing, I feel that it really just depends. Many girls use excuses like: "I can't do as many things in skirt" as a cop out, but if that girl was brave enough to try, she may find that skirts and their "thing/activity" are quite compatible!  Sometimes pants are best, but most times I feel that it is very hard for a woman to embrace her femininity while wearing pants. (Even my sister tells me that when wearing pants she feels different in her spirit and her respect for men.)  Simply put, if I showed up on your doorstep in a skirt, would you feel that I was embracing my masculinity?

Don't knock the jumpers! I happen to LOVE and think I look beautiful and simple in a loose fitting jumper.

My apologies if you felt as though I was bashing jumpers. Here is what I said:

"Momma and the girls wore long, form-concealing jumpers and head coverings in an effort to obtain modesty. While they certainly were covered and modest, their motives were very much based upon the law, and about the outside appearance; not focused on the heart."

I was addressing modesty being an issue of the heart and how they were modest on the outside, yet not focused on the heart. The actual item of clothing was not the point of the statement...Hope that this clears up confusion and/or hurt feelings!

In Christ Alone,



37 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh, I just wanted to tell you that it's a huge encouragement to me to see a brother in Christ striving for holiness in every area of his life. In the area that I live in, there are very few guys (that I've met, anyway) who take their relationship with Christ - or God's commands in the Bible for that matter - very seriously. So thank you for being obedient to the Lord, and I believe that He will bless you with a godly wife some day. Great posts on modesty! It's interesting to get a guy's take on things like that (again, the guys I know don't have much to say unless a girl is dressed EXTREMELY immodestly, and even then they choose to talk badly about them without their knowledge).

Kelsianne said...

When I'm at the grocery store check-out with my brothers, I try to flip the immodest magazines over. One time when I did this, there was an even worse picture on the back! Now, I just put a cooking magazine over the top. :)
I used to wear pants more then I do now, but as Jenna has mentioned, I don't feel as feminine in them, and, quite frankly, it is extremely hard to find "modest" jeans these days! Isn't it interesting that for girls to wear pants wasn't always excepted, and it is now? It sure gives a lot to think about.
Excellent post Josh, Thank-you!
God Bless,
Kelsey

Unknown said...

Amen Brother! You are right on, and I feel the same way. Somehow I can't respect a young lady who doesn't wish to be ladylike...
And what you said about pants is very true, although I would go one step farther, and say that if a young lady couldn't do something in a skirt, than that is probably a good indication that they shouldn't be doing it!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it is always encouraging to know there are other godly young men out there!
Andrew B.

Giann said...

Thank you for answering my question! I do, actually, feel a little bit different when I am wearing a skirt.

That would be awkward if you showed up in skirt.....I get your point....But, due to my circumstances, I wear pants - modest ones, that is.

Thanks again!

Rachel said...

Josh,

Good post! You're very encouraging to us ladies. :)
I just started reading your blog and I can tell that you love the Lord deeply. It's nice to have a christian man's opinion on things like modesty!

Thank you!

Rachel T.

Good Thunder said...

Praised be Jesus!

Haha! Oh Josh- you are wonderful. I was the one who said not to knock the jumpers. I was just giving you a hard time- don't worry, my feelings weren't hurt!! :) You are going to make an AMAZING husband! Never give up on your fight to be pure of heart. I love how many angles God comes at everything- being pure of heart means you are totally focused on Him- then you can truly "see God" as the beatitude states. You will see God's hand in everything and be totally united with him- which is what else but HEAVEN! So by simply keeping your body pure you are gaining heaven! God is so crazy- really He is.

Peace to you brother in Christ!
Rose

JC said...

Josh,

I am a 21-year-old woman and stumbled across your blog today and was amazed by this post. It is such a blessing to hear the "guys-perspective" on modest dressing :) It is a hard thing to do in today's world, but as Christians we are called to make a lot of counter-cultural decisions! I am currently a high-school youthleader at my church and it is a message I really try to stress with my small group of girls! Way to go for being open and honest from a guy's side though....it is so important for girls to hear and a great encouragement!

JC

Amber Noella said...

This encourages me, not only to dress in a way honoring God and helping the guys, but knowing that there ARE young men out there who truly appreciate it. Thank you for this inspiring post, Josh.

Charity Nee said...

P.S. I most DEFINITELY will be linking to your posts in my a fore-mentioned post.

Charity Nee said...

Very, very interesting. Thank you Josh! I am soo thankful that there are young men like you out there who are not afraid to take a stand and say this, in fact, who are not afraid to say anything that you and the other Christian guy bloggers are saying.
It was VERY encouraging for me to read this! Thank you again!
As a sidenote: I'm working on a post for the girls on my blog titled "Why Do I Dress Modestly?" It's a lot of the stuff you've written here, but from the girls' perspective... I could contact you and let you know when it is published! It's a long, long work in progress... constantly examining myself and seeing if it's not only on my body, but in my heart, where it all starts. Add that to the fact that, well, I'm just plain old busy, I've been working on it since late March! ;-) Ahhh, the life of... me. =D
Thank you again!
Blessings,
Chare

Whitney♥ said...

This post was VERY encouraging to me today=) Some of my family members have tried NUMEROUS times to get me to wear pants or jeans, they say "there is no way you can run, ride four-wheelers, horses or multiple things wearing a BIG SKIRT" however I have found that I CAN in fact do anything they do and I can do it in my SKIRT!:) I also appreciate you sharing a guy's viewpoint on this matter and that just encourages me all the more!

Blessings to you,
~Whitney

Jason Hunsicker said...

I couldn't agree more brother. Actually...reading this has inspired me...I'm going to write a similar blog. Not specifically on the topic of modesty, but just about what I'm looking for in a future wife.

Keep standing up for what's right Josh.

Kyleigh said...

Thanks for this, Josh. You said it's encouraging for you to see girls who strive to dress modestly and femininely - it's encouraging for me as a young lady to know that there are men out there who are appreciative and helped by that.

I wear skirts most of the time - for modesty, femininity, and comfort. I haven't found anything I can't do in a skirt, but there are some things I wouldn't do in a skirt, for modesty's sake. I won't play volleyball or Frisbee in a skirt, because of all of the jumping and diving that goes on. But even so, I try to be feminine with the way I have my hair, and also just working more on the femininity that's apart from dress! :)

God bless
Kyleigh

Unknown said...

Ahh, what a refreshing post. It's so great to know that there is other men who think this is an important subject! I totally agree with you on the whole thing but particularly on the subject of "Why would a guy care?" I get to see two very different cultures (as I'm sure you do, if you ever go to town) in my family's lifestyle, on the one hand we have the world, be it the mall (which I haven't gone to for a long time, partly because of this) or the grocery store, which both have the rampent immorality and immodesty shoved in our faces. On the other hand, the home group (Which I REALLY enjoy) we go to, in which the women are almost always in dresses or jumpers (I like those too). Thank you for posting on this subject
Paul
P.S. It doesn't say "Part 2 of 2", can I expect another one?

Lydia said...

God Bless you!!!!! Dear young man, you are such an inspiration to a mother's heart!!!!! I get weary looking around at the way young "ladies" dress today and think "WHY??". It is sad and I am VERY encouraged by you, and others like yourself, who are willing to take a bold stand that goes against the popular tide of opinion. Today, so much has been accepted and young people have been so desensitzed to immosdesty and thesensual images all around them. You are one in a million! Your family is such a blessing. I want to tell you to keep up the great work. Please take this to heart. You are such an example to so many and you have an influence. Please take seriously this privilege you have been given. Run the race with endurance and keep your eyes on the goal. Be on guard for there will be those who will try and trip you up. I am praying for you! You and your sister are a breath of fresh air and I mean that! Consider yourself hugged!:):)
Tell your family what a refreshment and wonderful encouragement they are!
Thank you!

Kade said...

I definitely think that women MUST wear skirts ALL the time; EVERYDAY.

Hezikia 3:15 "Thus all women shalt be chothed with skirts."

Naw... just kiddin'. I think It's fine for a girl to wear pants. Actually, I prefer pants. Too many odd things have happened with skirts in my days. Ya know, like if it's a windy day; bummer for you.

And I do think that you can't do many activities in a skirt.

Kade said...

wow. all you have to do is post about modesty... and bam! you get a lot of attention.

that's right my man; you're a clever guy.

Kade said...

I just awarded you for giving you such a hard time.

haha

Blessings

Giann said...

one more thing I would like to add. I like to go by this quote "Tight enough to know that I'm a woman and loose enough to know that I'm a lady."

Thanks again!

Allison said...

Josh~
This is really encouraging to all us girls trying to dress modestly!
Although I am not a "skirts-only" girl, I do like wearing skirts a lot! And I can do almost anything in them- but I don't always try, because I prefer to not get my skirts dirty:)

When I'm not sure if something is modest, I either ask my Daddy or brother, or I just don't wear it!

Also, I was wondering if you have some kind of update on the post you did about the girl thinking about getting an abortion? Just wondering...

Blessings~
~Alli

j said...

You will be very blessed for setting such high standards. I jumped over from your sisters blog. This was so encouraging and I wanted to see if I could link this and post it on my blog??? Made me teary eyed how you said how you as a young man just wanted basically purity and how thankful you were when women dress pure as it is helpful for men. I pray my sweet little boys will not be poisoned by the immodest dress of today but will set their standards high for purity in themselves and for their bride to be. Well thank you sorry to babble. LEt me know if I can post this. Thanks

Mrs. Argon

Restoration Farms said...

Josh, this is so encouraging, to see that it really does matter to dress modestly. thank you for posting!!!

Because He Lives
Johanna S

Coconut Recipes said...

Well, I could ramble on and on and on about how awesome this is, but really, it all comes down to the same thing.

Thank you. This is SUCH and encouragement!

God bless!

-Sarah.j.s.

Mikaela said...

Though I've visited here a few times (the Christian blogging circle seems to get smaller every day =), I don't believe I've ever commented before.
Your perspective on modesty, however, was so refreshing! As you have sisters, I'm sure you can appreciate how difficult it is at times merely to find shirts that don't go down to there, and skirts that don't go up to here. While I love dressing modestly and with feminity and am committed wholeheartedly and passionately to these things, discouragement can set in at times!
Thanks for that dose of encouragement today!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Josh!

Thank you so much for this encouraging post! It is really encouraging to hear the guy's perspective, some of them care that we dress modestly. I have really enjoyed reading this post, and the part one! Though I do not wear skirts all the time, I definitely am wearing them a lot more than I used to. I agree with Jenna: it does make you feel more feminine! Like I said before, it so encouraging to hear this from a guy's point of view.

Will you have another post on this subject? I would definitely enjoy it!

Elizabeth

Heather said...

Josh~
You have blessed my heart this morning. Just when I start to feel that there are no godly young men in the world, the Lord shows me hope :O) So here is a big hug!Bless you and thank you from a mom in Kansas.

Sophie said...

I totally agree Josh, so I won't go on and on!
Blessings on you as you share your heart and proclaim the Word!

Sophie

Miss Mandy at www.homeschoolblogger.com/maidenofvirtue said...

Your songs; While I'm Waiting, Give me Jesus, Completely, and I Will Rise are all my favorites! It's so wonderful to see young people striving to follow God with their whole hearts.
God bless,
Miss Mandy

Stephanie said...

Josh, thanks for this post. It's nice to know that there are godly guys out there who respect femininity and modesty. I know a few, but not many, of those kind of guys.
However, I do have to say I disagree with you on the skirts issue. (I may be in the minority on these blog comments, but I just want to respectfully make my opinion known. :) I am a young woman trying to follow Christ with my whole heart, and I LIKE wearing skirts and do so often. However, I do not feel like I am any LESS godly or modest in my pants than skirts. I do not believe I have an obligation to wear skirts, and the thought makes me feel almost burdened and saddened that some young ladies feel like they MUST wear skirts all of the time or something is wrong. Skirts are wonderful. Pants are also wonderful. I wear both, with modesty. I do some activities that would not be compatible with skirts, and to take it further, I actually do not feel like I have an obligation to wear skirts even if my activity would be fine with them. I feel like so quickly this can become a legalistic matter - like I must wear skirts because __. But no, I don't have to. I choose to sometimes, to express my femininity and glorify God. But I feel I can also do this in pants. It's a heart issue in a lot of ways. I know a girl (actually several) who can wear pants and look completely feminine and like a lady, and also I know girls in skirts that are not really expressing their femininity through the way they act. I also have not found that I feel less respectful to men in pants.
Another thing is that between me and God, when I wear pants, it's fine, and when I wear skirts, it's fine. That is my personal conviction. So when people make blanket statements about a woman's need to wear skirts all the time, it saddens me. I feel like Romans 14:4-6 kind of applies here.
Once again, the rest of the post was wonderful. I don't want to sound snippy or anything, and I'm sorry if anything I said offended. But these are my convictions and feelings. Overall I very much appreciate your view of modesty - I don't know many men like that. ya know, just a difference of feelings and convictions on the skirt thing. :) And also... apparently I cannot write a comment that's less than a mile long, so I apologize for the length. God bless. :)

Emily said...

Giann - there is no such thing as 'modest pants'.
I'm sorry to have to break it to you! Pants - (again, sorry), are men's clothing. Why even own pants? What's the purpose?
So you can be 'more modest' while, say, riding a horse? Or a dirt bike? Or even a bicycle?
Well, whatever your circumstance (or excuse,) is, it's not good enough.
As ladies, we need to be modest, yes. I'm not saying that we should wear skirts and, when riding horses, the skirt flips up - that's not modest either.
I'm saying that we need to have tights or petticoats under our skirts while doing anything daring... just in case.
I would like people that agree with me to email me, if you will.
People that do not agree with me, I welcome your rebukes as well.
Josh, your doing a great job. Keep it up.
~Emily Ruthann
godslilfarmgirl@gmail.com

Ivania said...

What a wonderful post Josh! It's so wonderful to hear these things from guys!

I say this because I'm still adjusting to the whole skirts-from-pants thing.

I know it's more modest, but sadly, my pride gets in the way, and at times, I just want to "fit in."

Thanks again!

Gwen

Anonymous said...

Wow... that was an interesting post, and the comments were, too! To add my 2 cents, I believe that there is such a thing as a modest pair of pants- I have to wear pants at my job, and do not compromise my convictions to do so. I don't understand why people call pants "mens attire"- where is that in the Bible?
Thanks for your fantastic posts, Josh!
Mikayla

Mr. S said...

After reading the long list of comments, a few random thoughts and verses came to mind.

This topic no doubt strikes a chord. For some it is a beautiful sounding one while for others it is like fingers on a chalkboard.

"But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes." II Tim. 2:23

I bet the people who had itching ears felt encouraged after listening to "their" teachers.

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears." II Tim. 4:3

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Col. 2:8

"Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh." Col. 2:23
"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth." Col. 3:1-2

Stepahnie: well said. And yes, Romans 14 does apply, but so does Galations 3:1-5, 5:9, 6:12-15 and Philippians 3:1-10.

Kelsianne said...

This topic seems extremely controversial!
There is something I wanted to add (Josh, I hope you don't mind too much. It seems there are a lot of opinions already shared here)
As brothers and sisters in the Lord, I think it’s important that we encourage each other to live for Him, but as far as the topic of pants vs. skirts go, it is not a salvation matter. I believe it is extremely important, but as Stephanie put it, it is a heart issue between that specific person and God. If I felt convicted to wear skirts all the time, that would make it my conviction (hopefully given by God), not the for the whole world to follow suit, unless they too, were convicted by God to dress in that fashion. Of course, there are certain matters that are specifically mentioned in the Bible and in those cases the rules do apply for everyone, no matter what, but the issue of skirts and dresses versus the wearing of pants is not one of them. My personal conviction is that I should wear skirts as much as possible. I can dress in a manner that is clean and neat, but modest at the same time.(I believe the Bible does teach that men are not to dress like women and women are not to dress as men. He made us different for a reason!) I do however, occasionally wear pants, or overalls. Not often, but occasionally. I don’t want to look over my shoulder at my neighbor and think they are such a sinful person for wearing pants. I can pray for them, and if the need calls for it, talk with them about my own experiences, but God won’t love them any less, and I shouldn’t judge them based on what they look like on the outside. It does matter what we look like on the outside, but I hope and pray I look and evaluate my own actions and appearances, not the outward appearances of others.
I apologize for this long comment! I’m certainly not trying to point fingers at any of these thoughtful commenter’s, just clear something up for the benefit of myself as well as any one who reads this.
Thank-you Josh. This post has been very thought prevoking!
Your Sister in Christ,

Kelsey

Mrs. VK said...

I just wanted to say, thanks for the post. I ran across your blog by accident. I would say as a wife and a mom who grew up wearing dresses/skirts/jumpers that it really is possible to do an awful lot with a skirt ~ if it is the right kind of skirt for the activity! I always wore something under my dress (like pantaloons) if the activity may involve some accidental immodesty. Where there's a will there's a way! :)

Precentor said...

Miss Hopman:

I believe you have really gotten to the heart of the pants and/or dress matter. It is a person conviction from the Father. As a whole, I do prefer lasses to wear skirts, but I do not see it as a *very* important issue as I do believe modest pants are there to be found. At least for the time being. I known folks that dressed their daughter in all skirts when she was young But the derision and cutting comments that came from other little kids and peers were really tough on the young girl(I imagine it would have been really tough on me!). So the family opted, instead of continually letting their daughter be insulted, and cut down, to have her wear pants. They do *not* say NO skirts, simply, they have a different perspective on the issue. I think in some settings, and social spheres you can get away with wearing a skirt all the time. But in others, it is simply a repelling force from forming relationships, and asking for hurtful things to be said.


A brother in Christ,

Millardthemk

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother! Keep up the good work.