Over the last week I have been working on contentedness and embracing where God has me.
Yesterday, God brought up another circumstance and gave me an opportunity to practice the contentment I have been learning. I was feeling discontent in my heart about where God had me...
It has been my unspoken dream to be involved with this praise and worship band and yet, God had not given me the opportunity. The temptation arises to to be discontent. Now I was confronted with a situation where I needed to choose to be content with where God has me right now. While I was washing baseboards in our dining room and considering all these things, I thought of the verse that says:
"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in what is much." Luke 16:10
I can so easily look at others' situations, blessings and begin to overlook my own.
The old saying -the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence- unfortunately rings true for me at times. Things look better for someone else than they do for me.
After considering the verse in Luke, I said out loud, "Lord, I choose your way. I will be content and I will be faithful in the 'little' things for as long as you have me in them! Make me content."
It was like God handed my heart freedom! No longer was I taking on problems, discouraged by a situation or distracted by a want, I was content with where God had me. It was a feeling of trust, resting in His will.
That night(Tuesday) we went to this praise and worship evening. -Because I would be walking right into a situation that has caused discontent in the past, I was praying all day that God would fill me with an overflowing contentment- It was wonderful just like I remember, God gave me such a peace, and He filled me with contentment the entire time I was there. After, I was talking with the guys and randomly the band leader asked me:
"Do you sing?"
"I love too" I replied.
"Can you sing harmony?" He questioned.
"In fact, I do!"
"Could you sing for the band?"
"I would be delighted!" Inside I was thinking, Oh my word,did I hear him correctly? He just asked me to sing in their band!That random. That brief. Can you believe that?! What an answer to prayer. It was so clearly orchestrated by God and His hand was so obvious in it. I am just thanking the Lord for his goodness and blessing...
I am looking forward to seeing what the Lord brings of this exciting opportunity...Whatever the outcome I will say,
"The Lord [gives], and the LORD [takes] away; Blessed be the name of the LORD." Job 1:21
If it works out, I will praise Him. And, if it doesn't work out, I will praise Him...
Okay, radical switch in topics.
Today, Jenna and I are busy doing chores and packing because tonight we are going to our awesome friend's house from where, we will all leave on a trip to Kentucky! We are really looking forward to it, and I will take pictures while I am there and upon my return, tell you more specifics of where we went and why. Until then, I will remain partially incognito =)
Have a blessed day!
In Christ,
12 comments:
Josh, thank you for your this and other recent posts on being content. :) It has always been a struggle for me (and I think for all Christians really) to be content. Phil. 4:11 is my favorite verse, and I have yet to be able to be content in EVERYTHING. ;) It's a constant battle to be happy with all that the Lord has blessed me with, and all that He is doing in my life now. The temptation to complain of all that we "don't" have and all that we are not is so great! But, I must say that striving to be content in all things is so much better than being discontented! :D I'll be praying for you as you learn to be contented in these area's. :)
I have a question for you, if you wouldn't mind answering this for me when you get back from your trip. ;) I have a brother who is turning 16 (wow, I can't believe that!) and I like to encourage his Christian walk by getting him godly Christian books for his birthday. :) Ones that will challenge him and help him grow into a godly young man. I was just wondering if you had any recommendations of ones that you love and that encouraged/challenged you. :)
God Bless! :D
Safe travels! :)
~Miss Rachel~
That is so cool! I love how God works like that...so awesome!
That is a great testimony, Josh!
Often God CAN'T give us our desires like he'd like to when we're hanging onto them so tight...but when we give it to him, whammo! He can work!
Isn't He so good to give us desires, and then give us ways to fulfill those desires?
That is really wonderful!
I love the how God has a way of getting his point across and then rewarding us when we get it.
Bravo!!! Good job! Isn't it so true that often God waits for us to be in a place of total trust in HIS perfect and good will no matter if it fits OUR description and then He will give us the desire of our hearts. Not always, this is true, but often. Praise God He answered the cry of your heart to be content and to thne be able to sing! Sing out to HIM daily in thanksgiving! Grat news Jos!:) Will we ever get to hear any of your singing? Sure would love to...How about Jenna, does she sing?;)
JOSH~ How I have miss all of you! Life has been too busy. Im slowing things down. I loved catching up on the blog and hope you have a wonderful trip:) Blessings Catherine
Wow. Just wow. God is /so/ good!
SOLI DEO GLORIA!
-Kyrie<><
It is so awesome to see God at work like that! Thanks so much for sharing!
Elizabeth
Praised be Jesus!
Josh, I praise the Lord who is so so generous to you! Do you realize that even being able to think about verses or think about any problem is a huge huge gift the Lord has granted you? THEN he doesn't just provide for our needs- but also our wants! He LOVES us- how could we be dissatisfied if we have our Jesus? Our EVERYTHING! :)
Talking about being faithful in small things reminded me of this beautiful song called "Small Things With Great Love" by an absolutely stunning Christian singer named Danielle Rose. I would URGE you to look her up- her songs are amazing!! The song I mentioned is on an album entitled "I Thirst".
Have a great trip! Peace Brother!
Rose
Hey Josh,
My name is Kalyn and I have been reading your blog for the past few months. I found you through my mom and I have loved reading about what you have to say about modesty and God. Isn't He good?! I'm so blessed to be one of His children. Keep up the good work!
Kalyn
That's wonderful! Sounds like God is really working in your life Josh. What a joy to hear this testimony of his faithfulness to you.
That's wonderful Josh! That's wonderful that you get to sing in a band!! Thrilling! I hope you have a great time! If you ever tour in Texas, shoot me a message! Does your band have a website? Very cool!
Post a Comment