Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Me, Be Content?!

Last week, we had some awesome friends over for dinner and fellowship. It has been quite a while since we have seen their family and we just had a blast catching up!

While they were telling us what has been happening in their lives since we have seen them, I began to feel a whispering voice arise in my heart.

God, they have a brand new vehicle, they go on trips together as a family, and they are so attractive it's not even funny... They have friends, move in a social circle, and are involved in all kinds of activities. To make it worse Lord, their daughter is taking voice lessons, and is singing at church...

While these things are not normally an issue for me, Satan was doing his best that evening to make me feel insignificant, unsteady, and discontent. It took me no more than a moment to realize, Satan is attacking me and trying to plant the seeds of discontentment in my heart.  Spiritual battle ensued as I prayed to the Lord for strength and took command of my thoughts.

After the family left our home, I took my bible from the table, poured a glass of iced herb tea, and walked out to the front porch.  The farmhouse screen door creaked and swung shut with a bang behind me as I sat down on the wicker chair.  The fireflies were out, birds whistled softly as they one by one eloped into sleep, and bats were beginning their nocturnal mosquito-eating intrigues.  I began by opening to my Bible's concordance and looking up verses on being content.

"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content." Philippians 4:11

I think that many times people just brush over and dismiss this portion of scripture as one of the frequently memorized Bible School verses, but if you take a moment to dissect Paul's words, you will see most importantly that whatever state  he is in, he has learned to be content. Make sure to note that Paul spent a majority of time in prison. Try to imagine being content in a situation like that! I was challenged realizing that I have nothing to complain about.

Think of the orphans world-wide who don't even have shoes to put on their feet, meanwhile I was bemoaning the fact that we don't have a updated vehicle! Take orphans again, they have no parents, and I was ungrateful that my dad has to work such long hours. I felt so selfish...I was selfish.

God has us all in specific places. He know exactly what areas we need to grow in, and He knows exactly what to do to refine us into his masterpiece. He has placed us purposely, and he has our best interest in mind. Let us all practice contentment in where He has placed us and what He has given us!

Now, we are off to Caleb's little league game. (Thank heavens he is no longer in tee ball) ;)

In Christ,

15 comments:

Josie said...

Hi Josh!
Wow, i'm the 1st comment! Whoohoo! {sorry, I just felt like that}

I totally know what it's like to be selfisha nd jealous of what ohter people have etc. It's so great that God can change our attitudes and still loves us, even after being really selfish! :)

I hop your brother's team does well, I'm goping to a friends baseball game tonight aswell.

Your blog is so great, I've found alot of encourgment on it!
Josie

Skye said...

It amazes me how God uses your Blog to get to me. You just hit the nail on the head. I have had a big problem being content lately. I saw the title of this post and thought, "I need to make sure I read that one!" lol Times are hard right now for my family and being content seems to be nearly impossible most of the time. At least for me. Everytime I realize I'm not content with my life I think about how much worse off other people are, and like you, I feel selfish. I think I need t glue my Bible to me. lol I've noticed in the hard times my Bible is't always read as much as it should be. lol Thank you very much for sharing this post. Enjoy your brother's game! :)

Blessings,

Skye

Emily said...

This post was such a blessing, I really needed to hear Philippians 4:11. Thank you for the reminder!

God bless!

Emily

Giann said...

Awesome post Josh! Thanks for sharing that with us!

*Blessings*

Anonymous said...

This is such a good reminder, Josh. It was a real blessing to my heart to read this post tonight because I'm constantly struggling to remain content. Comparing myself or my family to others is an unhealthy habit. Thanks for reminding me to go back to the Bible on such issues.

~ Faith

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh! My name is Karin and my sister Andie and I write a blog also. We stumbled across yours. I enjoy reading your post's because they are truth filled and GOdly inspired. Praying for you :E I would love it if you would stop by our blog and read what God's given us. Keep it real, Keep in christ centered.
~*KARIN*~

Hannah Nicole said...

You know what Josh, God does use you mightily for Him. This post is a testimony to that. It's something that I really needed to hear--a wake up call to me--and it was beautifully written. Don't ever think that you aren't doing anything...because you and this blog, well, let's just say it's being used for Him.

God bless you!
--Hannah

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post Josh <3 My daughter Skye told me about it. You see, what you saw in those people some see in you and your family. Oh how we would love a farm, chickens, goats, to know how to sew and more of the beautiful gifts God has bestowed upon your family. It is not our time for those things. It's tough not being discontent when we see things that everyone should be able to have yet we don't. You were right that we all need to be content with what God has given us. I guarantee that there is someone out there who is admiring us and our blessings as we admire others. *hugs*

Kyrie said...

Lol! Ms. Kristy said almost exactly what I was thinking! I too sometimes have trouble looking at others' lives and being content with what /I/ have; not usually in the material sense (a new car, modern things, etc. have either little or no affect on me, for example), but *ushamed little look on face* I have sometimes - ok, ok, /lots/ of times - found myself jealous of /your/ family!! You have more brothers and sisters, live in such an old-fashioned way with a wonderful historic house, a homestead-like self-supporting farm, animals, wonderful relationships, and I could go on, but I won't ;)
Anyway, I think "Contentment" is something that we work on our whole lives - always striving towards it, never /quite/ reaching it, but drawing closer and closer with the help of our Lord.
Thanks for this post!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

P.S. I love the picture you described of the front porch in the evening! :)

Unknown said...

This is a battle that I have fought with time and time again. The thing I've noticed is that when we (I) get comparing with others, the enemy gets us to focus on the good aspects of others, or if we have a prideful spirit, the bad. So the best thing is to just be grateful for what we have. But I do think that it is possible to take it to far and not try to get anything that we don't have, like "wow, that's a cool car, I'll have to work hard and see if sometime in the future I can buy one", all the while not falling into discontentment.
Oh, and I completely agree with Kyrie about your description of the front porch scene. It sounds like an excerpt of a book. Very well done. Thanks for posting!
Paul

Elizabeth said...

Josh,

Thank you so much for this reminder. I really kind of needed it right now. I am volunteering at Lakeside's VBS (and we haven't gone to lakeside in two years). It is kind of a long story, but I called the lady in charge a couple months ago to see what the the dates were for the vbs, and told her I might like to help out. Well, last week she called and said she was planning on my help!!! And I am not doing the drama, which I did last year, and all my old friends are doing, and I absolutely love, but I am taking care of the 3 year olds. I am beginning to realize that real serving is not always doing it what your passion is. I am realizing that this is where I have been put, and I need to serve with a willing heart, and show the kids God's love. Actually, today Mom said she overheard multiple people saying they were glad I was the helper, because I was really good with the little kids. Wow! I didn't even realize it!

You are so right, we just need to be content with where we are at, and not keep saying, "But...I want..." because it's not about what we want, it's about what God wants. And through it He will accomplish His purpose.

Thanks again so much for sharing on this!

In Christ,
Elizabeth

Cinnamon said...

And I thought I was the only one who like creaking, banging screen doors :-)

I love your thoughts on this...so honest...it happens to us all.

A dad (or in my case my dashing husband) that works long hours, material things we "want" but don't exactly need, I've been there!! Gee I think it was just last week :-0

Really, God does take us through tough moments/times but Praise the Lord they are only seasons He has placed us in.

He is working in you!

~Cinnamon

Stephanie said...

So true. Often I think about college coming up and how I'm going to get money and what job I'll get and what camps to go to but I really need to just focus on obeying God day to day and being content in the fact that He will lead me. Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,
I stumbled across your blog through a friend of mine. It's funny...my name is also Josh and I am also a twin. I also love the Lord, so there's 3 things we have in common.

I really enjoyed reading your post on contentment. This subject is something I really struggled with when I was in college. It is sometimes really hard to see that God does have our best interests in mind, especially when it seems that everyone else has so much more (money, "success", relationships, etc.).

God has really taught me to be content with where I am. If you seek after God and commit yourself to Him He will give you the desires of your heart.

God Bless,
Josh

Kaitlin said...

Great post Josh....and can I just tell you that you are an amazing writer? =)Really,it seems like you go into a lot of detail.




In Christ,
Kaitlin