Wednesday, February 10, 2010

He Lifted Me Out!



After plenty of procrastination on my part, I have finally decided to sit down to write this post.

As many of you may have gathered from my writing in December through January, I was in a pit. A spiritual and emotional pit. Those weeks during that time, were the scariest of my life. Honestly, I don't even remember how it started and what triggered it, all I remember, was somewhere, I started getting depressed, and one thing led to another.
I began to experience thoughts that I never had before. A thought would come into my head and keep getting bigger and bigger, and the harder I tried to push it out, the more firmly rooted it seemed to become. They were absolutely horrible thoughts, and the gravity of these thoughts alone, quickly, like a weed, began to tangle around my mind.

Many long nights were spent around the table; Dad, Momma, and me as I cried and they comforted, counseled, and prayed. - I thank God daily for the wonderful parents that I have. My dear parents are so wonderful loving, faithful, and strong, I sometimes wonder how I was so blessed as to ended up with them. But I know that God knew best when He gave them to me, knowing that I would need the parents that I have to help lead me and guide me as I grow and learn. -

As the thoughts became worse, I became fearful, I lost my appetite, walked around in misery, and even began to lose sleep. Obviously, I was not happy and wanted a way out of the whole ordeal, but didn't know how to get control of the situation. I spent time in prayer, I spent time in God's Word, I spent time thinking, and talking it out with my parents, but things only seemed to spiral downward. I was feeling desperate, as I sank deeper into the mire with every attempt to escape.

Looking back, those days all seemed to blur together, and I can safely and without exaggeration, consider them the worst in my life. One day, while thinking and praying, the Lord showed to me, that I was not trusting in Him. While that may seem over simplified to you, when I dug through layers of the issue, I began to see that the root of my problem was my lack of trust and faith in my Lord. While I was lacking in faith, Satan seized the opportunity and began to fill my mind with the thoughts. Like a cloudy, overcast day, even though the Sun is still there, you can't see it, and the thoughts were like clouds cloaking my soul and leaving me praying and using every ounce of faith that I had in me. Honestly, it was the Lord who sustained me. My faith was not strong enough to support me, it was only the Lord who kept me going...

"Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, Your Saviour;" Isaiah 43:1-3

Isn't it a wonderful promise?! Through our trials, God will sustain us and uphold us. When we go through them, He will be there with us. Hold on, steadfastly to the Lord. Hang on during the hard times, and keep your eyes fixed on the Saviour.

In conclusion, it comes down to trusts. It is all about trust. Trust in God, and His plan for your life. He will never leave you or forsake you. He does not give you wrong thoughts, although He may allow you to experience them for our own personal benefit; growing in our faith. It was not until I put my trust in the Lord, that God began to lift me out of the pit. My life is a journey, and while I am still in "recovery-mode", I am improving by leaps and bounds! Everyday I find reason to rejoice in the grace of our Lord Jesus. His redeeming power and un-ending Love.

That is my testimony so to speak, of God's great mercy in my life and how He is growing me. I would continue to covet your prayers as I become closer to Jesus Christ everyday!

Jesus Saves!

23 comments:

Bethany said...

How awesome to hear God's working in you! As you look at them right now, they may have been the worst days in your life, but looking back in a few years, those miserable days may have strengthened you for the Lord.

Keep your eyes on Him!

~Bethany~

Taylor said...

Wow. That takes a lot of courage and strength to say that on your blog. Thanks for encouraging!!

~*~ Allison ~*~ said...

Josh,

What a might God we serve!

How transparent you are in this writing. Admitting your weakness.

I pray that you continue to grow stronger.

Many blessings,
Allison

Rachel said...

Thank you for sharing Josh! Many Christian's have these struggles once in awhile...I myself did for a time, and have just been through a hard time myself recently as well. You are right, it's about trust and faith in God. :) It's also about knowing His character and that He loves us sooo very much. :) We just have to commit our whole lives to Him, every part of it. :)

That verse is a favorite verse of mine too! :D I read it a few years ago...when our family was going through some very tough times (financially and physically). I just cried and cried when I read it...it was soo comforting to know that God will not let me "drown" in the sin and the cares of this world. :) He is ALWAYS there for us! :)

I'll be praying for you as you listen to Him and learn to fully trust Him for your all! :)

In Christ!
~Miss Rachel~

Rachel said...

Oh, and thank you for being so open and honest...I know that can be difficult. :) I greatly appreciated it and was comforted myself through your post. :)

God Bless!
~Miss Rachel~

Hannah Nicole said...

Josh, I recently experienced something like this, so I can most certainly relate. That is a WONDERFUL promise, and better still, it's true. What an AMAZING God we have--it's mind blowing. And that He chose us to love and call His own. That He sustains us.

Blessings,
--Hannah

Katherine said...

Josh, thank you for sharing this. I went through the same type of thing- except it was emotional shame I experienced...May G-d bless you and keep you

In Him,
katherine

Anonymous said...

Amen about trust. Thanks for sharing. God bless.

Patrick Coffey said...

Amen! Great testimony, Josh!Thank you so much for sharing. What an awesome God we serve! Through Him, we have power over all of satan's tricks and attempts to destroy us when we are weak!

Thanks again for sharing,
Patrick

Tiffany said...

Praise the Lord! I needed this so badly! God surely knows how to encourage us.. I have been going through some of the worst stuff I thought I would never have to go through. But God comes right in the heat of the battle, showing me that I am kept by his power and that the trial of my faith is more precious than gold (1 Peter) God Bless You!

Joshua said...

Thanks for sharing Josh. Usually, God is preparing you for something big after these trials and tribulations. He has you firmly held in his righteous, omnipotent right hand. No one can ever pluck you out of His hand. Be ready for what God is going to do, Josh. It will blow your mind.

Your David,
Joshua :)

P.S. I will e-mail you sometime in the next few days. I promise. :)

Fiddlin Girl said...

Josh,

Thanks for sharing this with your readers.. I thought I woudl share a verse which has helped me through many touch struggles "in the mire". :) Isaiah 41:8-14. I would often replace the name "Isreal" to my name instead. (ex: "But you, Sarah, are my servant" etc) It really helped me through many times in my life.
Thank you for sharing.

In our Heavenly Father,
Sarah

Unknown said...

Josh, that's great!!! You DO have a wonderful and supportive family and that in and of itself is such a blessed and beautiful gift.

I'm so glad you are trusting God. I think teen years for guys are truly some of the hardest years. There's so much to consider and it all seems so big and frightening. Jared struggled with so much of that too. It's hard to convince a young man that knowledge will come a little at a time. I think guys your age think they will be expected to know and do it all - all at once. But one day at a time... always with God guiding and always with your parents supporting and leading.

You've got a great foundation and won't fail as you continue to trust God. Just have confidence in Him alone. You don't need any in yourself when you know he's able to do all things.

I'm praising God that you're claiming your victory and have learned to trust our faithful and loving God. God continues to teach me to trust him through many different circumstances. It's so easy to doubt.

Hallelujah!
Aunt Lynnette

Allison said...

Josh~
Sometimes trusing God is really hard! When we moved 1500 miles away from home a year ago, I had the hardest time trusting God with everything! I still have hard days once in a while, missing home and my friends, but through this last year I have grown closer to God than ever! You will be in my prayers!
God bless! ~Alli

Linda said...

Hugs and Grandma prayers! ((smile))

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Christine said...

My brother went through something like this a couple months ago - it was definitely hard, but God is faithful. He never gives us too much to handle.
You have such a neat testimony, Josh - thanks for sharing it!
You're in my prayers.

Carilyn said...

Hello,

I understand what you're talking about. It definitely is the Lord that sustains us. My mother told me (and this is probably not the exact words :) ) about how those bad thoughts were not put there by God, and I had the choice to take those thoughts as my own, or push them out and reject them. (Maybe this is what it is talking about in 2 Cor. 10: 5.) Those thoughts weren't my own unless I accepted them and thought about them. Thank you for posting about this.

~Carrie

Good Thunder said...

Praised be Jesus!

Josh! Know that you are definitely not alone in these struggles- so many in the body of Christ are suffering the same. By trusting in the Lord you're helping to strengthen all of us!
I've been struggling with this since I was 15- and I'm 21 now. I know how you feel when you say it's so simple but it's the truth! I did all the same things you did- not eating, sleeping to forget my "problems" that seemed to just grow and grow when God was just waiting for me all the time! What a gracious God we have that continually waits for us to love and trust him (waits with EAGERNESS I might add!) How he has blessed you because of your generous heart to him- the devil's control on you was exposed in a few months rather than 6 years! Keep fighting- every moment is new!!

In His Heart,
Rose

Kyrie said...

Wow - God bless you dear brother

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

Sherry in MI said...

So sorry to hear of your struggles, but so happy that you are working your way out of the depths. Hang in there!

Catherine Anne said...

Thank you for posting this Josh. Your words can help so many others. Yes, I see a great plan for you sent from our Lord. Trust and you will see~
Blessings Catherine

Stephanie said...

Thank you for this post, Josh. You are definitely not alone. I think everybody goes through scary times like those at one time or another, and it's nice to realize others are facing similar struggles! You are in my prayers.
We serve a great God. :)

Charity Nee said...

Wow! Glad you're ok now... I know what that feels like although maybe on a smaller level - I remember one time I was laying on my bed when I was about 11 or so maybe after I had been disrespectful to my mom or something like that - and the scariest thought popped into my mind - "What if I'm not a Christian?" It was awful - as I thought about that some more in my room that day, I started to cry... I was terrified that that would happen... But God showed me - through that and the things that have been going on this past yr... Satan is a "little sly guy" as my friends and I call him - he lovesloves those opportunities!! Stay strong in the faith brother!
{Sorry for such a long comment! :D}