Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Farm Project

How are you all? I apologize for not updating sooner but you know how life is with all it's busyness!
Things are always busy on the farm and in the farmhouse, and this week has been no exception. Sunday afternoon, I purposed to grow an orchard! Yes, you heard me correctly. Why not study up, plan, and try growing some fruit trees, right? That evening, Momma dug out this book from deep within an old bookshelf and handed it to me. Upon opening the book and reading the note on the first page, I discovered that I held a book nearly 21 years old! Ha! And inside the gardening book, was a wealth of information on all gardening topics, from soil management, to growing seedlings, and everything in between. As I began to peruse the wide variety of topics the book had to offer, I noticed plans for:
A Seed-Starting Tray Shelf!
Hmmm...We could grow our own seedlings to get a head start on the season. What a great learning experience! After getting excited about the whole idea, I proceeded to show the plan to momma and she said "Absolutely!"
So, Monday, off we went to the lumberyard, and purchased the lumber and hardware we would need to make "The Project".


The Plan...

Yesterday, Caleb and I took on the job, and began by cutting all the lumber to the correct dimensions.


Assembly...

The Finished Seed-Starting Tray Shelf!


A shelf/tray....

The Window Sash Chain (I thought it was pretty cool!)

Guess what my next project is...!

I know, it wasn't that much of a mind-teaser, I need to choose and order seeds to start! After I get some more school done, Momma and I will sit down and decide on the seeds to order for out 2010 garden!

In Christ Alone,

6 comments:

Kyrie said...

Good for you! I love seeds and gardening! That seed starter tray looks like a great tool to help get a jump-start on the season. Unfortunately, I don't know where we would have room to put one in our house :[ Oh well...

Happy planting! ;)

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

Kelsianne said...

That must be really exciting!
We started an orchard from saplings, but the wind and heat was so brutal, and they didn't do so well. I'd like to try it again and this time to a better job of protecting them from the elements.
Gardening is such a blessing!

Kelsey

Patrick Coffey said...

Very neat! I love the design! What kind of lights are you using?

Blessings in Jesus,
Patrick

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I have a question, how do you get those personal headers like that?
God Bless,
Ashley

Marissa said...

Wow that's so neat, Josh! What a great project to work on. Have fun!

Allison said...

Josh~
That is so cool your going to plant fruit trees! We already have several in our yard, but I'm looking forward to planting a garden! In my family's garden each child gets to pick one or two things that are theirs to care for the whole gardening season. My special area is always herbs, flowers, and green onions!
God Bless you! ~Alli