Isn't she beautiful? Yes, my goat Jill had her baby last night! Yesterday morning I noticed that her milk had dropped, so I asked Dad if I could stay home from church and watch her. He consented and I read my bible, then played the piano here while the family was at church. I checked on Jill every half hour or so and while I could tell she was in labor and making progress it was slow. Anyway, fast-forward several hours to around 7 pm; Jenna, Abigail and I were finishing chores and we noticed that Jill was contracting more so Mom and I sat in there and watched her, but things were still going slow. However, when I decided that I would be spending a long night in the barn at 10, she started having really hard contractions and then her water broke at 10:30. We all had a gut feeling that something was wrong because Jill was pushing but there was not enough dilation and no feet. So, I put a glove on and went in. I felt the head but no legs. Trouble. By this time, my heart was starting to beat quicker. Being somewhat a novice, I was trying to keep myself calm and think of my possibilities but I knew that I was going to have to get that baby out myself:( It took about 20 intense minutes of feeling helpless and countless prayers, but I eventually found a knee that was folded and I was able to straighten it out and ease the shoulders thru the pelvis. And then; Praise God! Jill delivered her baby! A beautiful (huge) doe kid! I had to do CPR on the baby because she wasn't breathing well but she's fine now.
Anyway, long story short, I didn't get to bed until 1 am... Talk about tired! I am really excited about the kid, she is tall, long and flashy. I personally think that she'll be enormous and she has great potential for the show ring...
Long winded and tired, I'm adding some pictures then going to bed!
Jill feeling very uncomfortable:(
Progress being made
The new baby; Jill cleaning her
Laura loves the baby. She was just fixated on the thing!I'm trying to upload a short video but I think that I need to just do that tomorrow! Good night,
Josh
By the way, I need to get this baby named! so, if anyone comes up with a good "J" name let me know.
7 comments:
I am so glad everything was o.k. She is so cute! What about the name Joy?
Just a thought...
How fun! So excited to see the kids on Friday!
God Bless,
Elizabeth
She looks really nice! I'm glad she was okay! Isn't it funny that she only had a single though? Thinking she might have trips and all. :) Silly goats! At least it was a doe and not a buck! BTW, Up sure was doing good with does this year! Mandie was was bred with him and we got twin does!
~Bethany~
Wow, sounds like a night!!! I am glad that everything worked out. A name, ah...let me think, Josaphine?
Jerri? Just some ideas. Hope you had a good nights sleep!!
'becca
Hey - good job delivering that baby! :)
Wow Josh, great post. It is very neat being able to see pictures of a new baby goat. God creates them beautifully. Talk to you later.
In Christ Alone,
Joshua :)
Neat, Josh. Looks like you're learning a lot! :)
Post a Comment