I give you warning. This post is not for those who have a weak constitution for gross things...
This morning, the man that rents the haymow in our barn, stopped by to say he would be putting more hay up this evening. And because one of our cats had her kittens there, Jenna and I decided to move them. Out to the barn we went, through the dew laden grass and up to the barn. In the hay, Jenna reached into a small tunnel and began to pull kittens out one by one as I patiently held the growing amount of squirming fur in my lap...Five kittens and cute ones too. Jenna immediately picked out her favorite and set about determining the gender. The early morning air and stillness was suddenly shattered as a blood-curdling scream split the air and reverberated throughout the upstairs of the barn. Jenna turned the cute calico kitten she was holding and practically dropped it on my lap screaming the whole time. I hurriedly picked up the bundle only to discover a swollen, gaping hole in its neck about the width of a pea. Trying now to collect myself after being frightened by the screams, I began handing Jenna the other kittens and started to climb out of the hay. As I made my way to the house, I began to think of what I should do for the kitten and what I should say to mom. All to soon I was standing on the porch calling mom to the door, and as I stood there I applied some pressure to the side of the huge wound, and "something" appeared from the depths of the hole. It suddenly disappeared, and it dawned upon me that the "thing" was ALIVE! Mom said: "Get the peroxide!", Abigail said: "Oh! It's suffering, just kill it!!!", and of course Jenna stood there...screaming. Order was drawn as I began issuing commands: "Caleb get tweezers, Abigail, a towel and cotton swabs".
Once my supplies were gathered, I sat down on the deck to do surgery. The wound area was immediately drenched in peroxide and then I applied gentle pressure to the wound and arming myself with a pair of tweezers, entered the gaping hole and pulled on the living creature inside. To my audience's horror, out came a enormous, flesh eating, blood sucking, parasitic, grub-like creature!!! Now I had three people screaming instead of just one!
Okay, the kitten is fine, being bandaged up, much relieved and happily nursing on her mom!
Well, on to my next adventure,
Josh
Josh
P.s. I warned you didn't I? And Abigail more than redeemed herself by sitting calmly by my side and assisting me with the extraction.
15 comments:
Awww, poor, poor kitty. I'm so glad you were able to "fix" it! Lol, I chuckled at the title of your post after reading the whole post, I thought it was going to be a cute little post about a sweet kitten and a fun(not painful) adventure :) You should consider studying veterinary medicine, it looks like you'd do fantastic!
LocaChica
Glad the kitty lived through it all!
Sounds like a fun/funny family adventure on the farm!
Wow, that poor kitten! It's a good thing you were able to take care of the problem!
Having many animals, our family has had all kinds of adventures, but never one like that.
I hope the kitten completely recovers soon!
God Bless,
Kelsey
By-the-way, I love your new header/picture.
I just read about this on Jenna's blog and saw that you had written about it too so I had to see your side of the story! :) It's amazing that the little 'grub' could eat into the cat's skin.
Blessings,
~Andrea
I found you through your twin's blog! What a great story! We all read both sides and loved them!
Hi Josh,
Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)
Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?
May the Lord bless you and your family!!
Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org
ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).
•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•
Good job Josh! Did you find out what kind of parasite it was? Did you put anything on the wound?
TTYL!
~Bethany~
Okay - I guess I should have heeded your warning and not read this until after breakfast. Yikes! I'll say it again Josh - you should go to vet school!
Oh, I watched a health show on this once, only it was in a guys leg.
It's really gross, but things like that amaze me.
Glad the kitty is doing well. You better watch it or it might become a house cat. (I've had it happen here) lol
I just take singing lessons. Nothing that special, but I do enjoy it a whole lot. I am singing for a talent show in February so that will be fun.
God Bless,
Ashley
LOL! That is absolutely great! I'm sure this is not the first time you've heard this, but Mommy said you would make a great doctor. =)
Miss you. God bless!
:( poor kitty, glad it made it thru that! Jenna sounded like she was gonna have a heart attack!
Bri
HAHA i was cracking up the whole time i was reading your version. very good writing! very funny and very gross!!!! by the way, did you know that Anna named that kitty "M&M"? its a secret name though (thats what she told me)
Oh my, I almost just, oh dear...okay *deep breath*. Wow, a clean up my brothers cuts, gashes etc. but that was really, yeah. The 'yellow-journalism' way in which you wrote didn't help. lol ;)
Post a Comment