
Here are some questions that a reader had on "courtship". We answered them to the best of our ability as a single brother and sister who have never been in a courtship experience. Please remember (as we talked about in this post) that everyone has their own thoughts and preferences on the subject...there is no "wrong" way if your heart motive is pure, and your goal to glorify Christ.
All of the answers that we are giving, will change from family to family - guaranteed!!
Q.Which role do you see for your parents in the courtship process ?
A. Jenna: Yet again, this differs from family to family. I personally would like whatever "young man" to go through my parents and get permission for a committed relationship before they come to me.
More specifically, my parents are playing the role of protector, confidant and teacher...:)
A. Josh: As a guy, my desire is to talk with my parents, seek their counsel, and recieve encouragement and advice. There's no one in this world that loves me as much as they do, and I can trust them to be honest and encourage me to make the right decisions.
Q. Who decides whether someone is the one Yahweh chose for you - you alone, or your parents with or for you, or maybe the whole family ?
A. Jenna: Ultimately the decision would be between God, my parents and I. However, I love the idea of giving my siblings a say in the matter!!
A. Josh: Same here!
Q. It sounds great, to wait for the one spouse Yahweh has appointed for you, but how do you know it is him (or her, for boys) when you meet ?
A. Josh and Jenna: Having never been in the situation, all we can do is pray that God will show Himself clear when we meet our future mates - as distinct as He alone can possibly be.
Our Dad's and Mom's know our hopes, dreams and preferences...by sending suitor's and potentials through them, it prevents emotional attachment and they can quickly weed out some of the most unlikely or unsavory characters while keeping the daughters (or son's) heart pure.
We would love to hear your thoughts and convictions on the subject or courtship/dating...what has God laid on your heart??
God Bless You,
Josh & Jenna
All of the answers that we are giving, will change from family to family - guaranteed!!
Q.Which role do you see for your parents in the courtship process ?
A. Jenna: Yet again, this differs from family to family. I personally would like whatever "young man" to go through my parents and get permission for a committed relationship before they come to me.
More specifically, my parents are playing the role of protector, confidant and teacher...:)
A. Josh: As a guy, my desire is to talk with my parents, seek their counsel, and recieve encouragement and advice. There's no one in this world that loves me as much as they do, and I can trust them to be honest and encourage me to make the right decisions.
Q. Who decides whether someone is the one Yahweh chose for you - you alone, or your parents with or for you, or maybe the whole family ?
A. Jenna: Ultimately the decision would be between God, my parents and I. However, I love the idea of giving my siblings a say in the matter!!
A. Josh: Same here!
Q. It sounds great, to wait for the one spouse Yahweh has appointed for you, but how do you know it is him (or her, for boys) when you meet ?
A. Josh and Jenna: Having never been in the situation, all we can do is pray that God will show Himself clear when we meet our future mates - as distinct as He alone can possibly be.
Our Dad's and Mom's know our hopes, dreams and preferences...by sending suitor's and potentials through them, it prevents emotional attachment and they can quickly weed out some of the most unlikely or unsavory characters while keeping the daughters (or son's) heart pure.
We would love to hear your thoughts and convictions on the subject or courtship/dating...what has God laid on your heart??
God Bless You,
Josh & Jenna
9 comments:
Thank you for being a light to the young people around you and sharing your beliefs on these issues. It is refreshing and encouraging to see you stand strong in what God's way is vs. the worlds. Sometimes as a family who believes the way you do, we feel like a minority (which is okay:) and it is great to hear that there are other families out there who are training their children to follow the Lord Jesus with all their hearts, soul mind and strength. Thank you so much for sharing.
Good points! It's all about the family...
Patrick
My beliefs are the same. I believe that you should involve your parents and they should definitely help make the decision easier by "weeding out" the bad. But first and formost I will be consolting my God. I want what He has planned for me. Even if I think "the guy" is "the one", but God says he's not, then I will obey. God's wil is perfect. I never knew about courtship when I was younger (about 12 and under) so I thought dating was the only way and when my dad told me that I wasn't allowed to date, I was worried that I'd never get married! LOL =D But then my parents talked to me about courtship and I strongly believe that courtship is what's right. God didn't intend for girls and guys to be "boyfriend/girlfriend". By having a boyfriend/girlfriend, you give a piece of youself away to that person. I like how one ladie put it, "Picture your birthday cake. Doesn't it look so lovely when you first see it? Now imagine when you see your birthday cake that there's 5 pieces already taken out. Does it still look as lovely?"
These are just my convictions (things God has shown me). :)
~Eldarwen Failariel~
Great post! I always enjoy reading others thoughts on courtship....it is neat to see how different families go about it.
Blessings, Tessa
Amen. Thanks for sharing, Josh. Still have some questions, but maybe I should just PM you sometime about this or something. =) God bless! =)
I have really enjoyed these posts about courtship. I know know a lot more of what courtship is about. I also think it is a very good idea to discuss it with your parents, and with God of course. Thank you so much for these posts! They have been so encouraging to me!!
~Blessings~
Elizabeth
By the way, I really like your new profile picture!
You will reap such amazing benefits from the convictions you hold dear today!
I love you!!!
Great Post!!!
I found your blog while I was checking out Jasmin's Joyfully at Home blog, and I think you make some interesting points on courtship, which I think is better than dating! It's nice to know there are people like you who actually care about that stuff! Thanks!
In Christ,
Julianne
Post a Comment