
I watched North and South. I know, can you believe it?
Even though North and South doesn't have much to do with it, I thought I would mention it because, well...It is a "dark" movie. You may say: "It's a romance. How could it be dark? Mr. Thornton and Margaret fall in love!" Well yes, they do fall in love, but they fall in love at the very end of the depressing, 6 hour movie.
The reason I say it is "dark", is just because of the gloomy, sad, poverty-stricken, struggling, tension-laden feel the movie possesses. Personally, I struggle with being to easily emotionally swayed. My typical personality is one of happiness and enthusiasm, but if I hear or see something gloomy, sad, poverty-stricken, struggling, tension-laden, such as North and South, my emotions tend to easily influenced. Which, if you don't know, is BAD.
Anyway, I was somewhat struggling with feeling gloomy after watching the movie, and Momma, dad and I had a very good conversation about keeping your eyes focused on Jesus. Keeping the focus on our savior, gives us strength. Trusting in His sovereignty in our lives also gives us strength.
As the culmination of our discussion, I got out my Bible and found two verses in the book of Isaiah that were a great encouragement to me.
"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31
" Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am thy God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10
After I went to bed, momma came up to check on everyone (did I mention we are under the weather?) She came to my room and told me how important I am to this family and how much she loves me. Then she told me to count my blessings and thank the Lord for everything the Lord has given...As I prayed to the Lord, thanking Him for salvation, my home, and my family, I drifted off in to sweet sleep...Until...4 am!
Good Morning! I hear heaving in the room next to mine and Caleb's, sheets and blankets go flying and I jump out of the bunk bed, my head narrowly missing the top bunk. Dashing around the corner, I find poor little Natalie sitting on the bed (the sweetest picture of sickness. Really!) dry heaving ( thank heavens nothing much came out!)...Poor thing. I sat there on the bed trying to make her as comfortable as possible despite the desperate predicament. After about two minutes:
Me: "Okay Babe, you doin' better?"
Natalie: *nod's head*
*prop up her pillow and lay her back down* " Just relax and lay back here."
I think to myself: Phew, we're good! Let me just try to get another hour of sleep at least.
Not so!!!! 45 minutes later, I was back in the room repeating the unfortunate little episode.
Seeing that you don't know, I'll tell you that mom and dad's bedroom is downstairs, while all the kids sleep upstairs. Anyway, mom and dad really need more sleep so I helped Natalie so they wouldn't be interrupted and woken up.
As I was helping Natalie early this morning, I remembered what momma said to me just a few hours before. Thank the Lord for the blessings that he has given to us. Thank Him for the family...
It was really a blessing that I could help Natalie. Simply, I thanked Jesus that I have siblings and that I had the opportunity to serve them and helped mom and dad in the process. That I can be an example to the younger kids and serve them like Jesus would.
It is the little things in life that can be such big teaching moments. Even being with a sibling that is throwing up!!!
Sorry for rambling on and on. I do hope that my run-on sentences are understandable and not completely resembling a cryptic message! But hey, I was up at 4 am!
God Bless,
Josh
12 comments:
Oh no Josh!! ugh its not fun having the whole family be sick. I'm the oldest of 9...so I know! =)
I hope Natalie is feeling better!
Blessings,
Lexi
Soo enjoyed this post Josh! :D AS the oldest in my family as well, I often have more responsibilities on my shoulder's to relieve my parents of more work. :) It gets hard at times, and like you after watching some of those romancy dark movies like North & South, I can get depressed feeling and forget to turn my eyes to the Lord. :( Those 2 verses you mentioned I have pinned up on my wall so when I am discouraged, I can remember Who to turn to and Who gives me the strenth I need to be more serving to my family. :) I appreciate your encouragement. Your mom is so right...I can see that you are a much needed part of your family...and I'm sure they appreciate it! :) That help you gave your sister not only helps your family out (especially your parents) but it helps to build a better relationship with your siblings. :)
So, thank you for that reminder, to me as well, of how much a help I can be to my family as well. :)
Blessings to you!
Merry Christ-mas!
~Rachel~
AAwww, poor little thing!!
You didn't like North and South? I loved it!
It needed a bit of humor, though, to lighten it up.
((Josh)) You are an amazing young man. I pray that my children grow to love and follow our Lord the way you have. I know your family must be so proud of you.
Blessings Catherine
That's awesome, Josh. Honestly, I can only imagine that happening here if I was gone out of the house. If I were here, certain boys would have definitely located me no matter what I was doing. You're a blessing to your mama!
Awww, so precious! Not fun when they are all sick, but so precious when you get such moments. Miss you all!
~Bethany~
You remind me a lot of my son Jared. He is a first born. He is always trying to minister to his family and take on responsibility with the younger siblings... and he's even more apt to deep emotions.
I loved the movie North and South. It was rather dark - a lot of those types of movies are, and I thought the ending was a little speedy - I wasn't entirely pleased with it, but I liked a few aspects of the movie. First off, I appreciated that Mr. Thorton's heart began to show through (after thinking he didn't have one). I saw what huge responsibility was put on him after his father died - and what a sad thing to happen to a child.
I also grew frustrated with Margaret at times - I felt she was vain and wrong in her attitude, but I also saw the pity she had on the poor family and her heart was truly loving and giving. She was swayed by an action that Thorton made in the beginning but rather than trying to discover the truth behind it, she chose to put him in a category and have an unforgiving spirit. It wasn't until the truth was revealed and hearts were opened that all was well.
I know there's a lot to that, but I like to view movies like that in light of how human kind really is. Movies like that tend to reveal the true nature of man - but I love how it was all overcome in the end.
So, there's my take on North and South (one of my favorite movies). ha!
Blessings to you Josh.
Mrs. Kraft
And... I'm sorry you've had illness in the home. Tis the season to get sick, yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk....
Or should I say Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...
That's sound more like the original.
Okay - bye for REAL now. ha!
Great post! It encouraged me.
Great post Josh! What a great testimony of being an older sibling as well!
Jess
P.S>
I lOVE North nad South!
i love isaiah 41:10..it's one of the verses that really give me strenght:x..
Post a Comment