Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Sin of Pride

Pride. Pride is such a prominent sin. The sin of pride is also at the root of so many others.
Here is an entry from my personal journal:

November 23, 2009
"Over the last two weeks, I have been feeling quite depressed. I believed it to be spiritual, but couldn't pin point it. Last night, after coming home from a Sunday evening church meeting, and breaking down, Mom and I had an excellent, open conversation in effort to find the cause of the depression. After a bit of discussion, and peeling back layers-being completely honest- we began to uncover some of the problems and causes of my spiritual struggle. We traced back the issues and came to the conclusion that I struggle with PRIDE. Pride has been the root of many of my personal struggles, and I am giving it to the Lord. This problem with pride will end. The pride in my life is being forsaken. "

I confess that pride has been a great struggle for me throughout my life. It has shown itself at many different times and in many different ways. At times, when I address a certain sin in my life that God has brought to light, after peeling back the layers of my heart in honest soul-searching, more often than not, Pride is the root. Below are some of the verses that I have written in my journal on the issue of pride.

What does pride look like?

"The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts." Psalms 10:4

"Their inner thought is that their houses will last forever, their dwelling places to all generations; they call their lands after their own names." Psalms 49:11

" By pride comes nothing but strife, but with the well-advised is wisdom." Proverbs 13:10

Pride is manifested through proud countenances, self-righteousness and esteeming oneself highly. Not seeking God but focusing on self and selfish things, along with strife and not getting along with people that you interact with are also signs of pride.

What does the Bible say about Pride?

"These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him; A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood." Proverbs 6:16-17

" A haughty look, a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked are sin." Proverbs 21:4

" ...The one who has a haughty look and a proud heart, Him I will not endure." Psalm 101:5

The Lord hates a proud look, and a proud heart. They are an abomination to Him and sin. If that doesn't say enough, read through the book of Proverbs to gain more insight on pride!

"God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:10


God resists the proud, let us turn from it! It is my prayer that I will continually grow in humility, that I may honor God.

In Christ Alone,
Josh

10 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm glad that you were able to fix the problem with God's help! Pride certainly is not a thing to mess around with. I'm so thankful God is not upset when we make a mistake and instead is excited to see His children learning and growing in Him.

To Him be the glory!

~Bethany~

Kelsianne said...

A very convicting post! I have often struggled with the same thing. Pride is a big one that seems to creep up without notice in our speech and how we act and especially how we think about others. (Whether something is said out loud or not)
Great post. Thank-you.
In Christ Alone,
Kelsey

Kyrie said...

Thank you so much for the encouraging comment you left on my blog - I am so grateful for the prayers!

You are so right about pride! I find the problem of selfishness (a root of pride) so prevalent in my own life that I become very discouraged at times. Many times I defensively try to blame my circumstances, or the bad attitudes of those around me, for my own problem with grumpiness and self-pity. But the Lord has recently brought a person into my life (sometimes I think for the express purpose of helping teach me this lesson) who works with people who have TERRIBLE attitudes and horrible lifestyles every weekday, yet he refuses to let - in his own words - "the devil steal my Joy"
I am trying to work on that in MY life - with the Lord's help, I will conquer.
Thank you for this thought-provoking post

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

Eldarwen said...

It's great that you were able to talk to your mom and realize the problem. With God's help you can definitely overcome it! I know what you mean, I struggle with pride too. It usually comes around and I don't even notice. Thanks for posting about this! I know it's common sense that I'm not the only person out there that's prideful, but it definitely helps when I see other people who are truthful and confess that they're sinners, too. It takes a lot of courage to confess your sins, especially when it comes to pride. :)

Eldarwen

Hope's Mother said...

Hi Josh. Thanks for coming by my blog! I'm glad you did because I'm enjoying reading yours. It's a like a breath of fresh air for me.
Your writing is very interesting!
Hope

Unknown said...

Great post, Josh! Something we all need to be reminded about.

I got your comment on my blog, and yes, I did take the picture that's on my header. :) I call it "Wet Wildfire". I'm glad you like it! :)

I'm glad the song that I put up for Tuesday was encouraging. I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

Blessings,
Your sister in Christ,
~Raquel

Catherine Anne said...

Thanks for posting this Josh! It is so true. Thank you too for stopping in at the blog. It is so nice to meet you. Im happy to be following your blog~

Lexi said...

Praise God that He revealed to you the problem and that you are giving it all to Him!

I too struggle with pride, and this post encourged me to keep giving it to Him and not hide it away.

Thanks for the verses! Those are wall post-its for sure! =)

Lexi

Miranda said...

Josh,

I happened across your blog while i was at Kyries. I can tell that you are striving to glorify our Savior Jesus Christ through this blog! So far i have enjoyed this place very much.

Feel free to visit mine: www.randi-travelnotes.blogspot.com

God Bless,
Miranda

Jennifer said...

Thank you for posting, Josh! It has been a great encouragement to me! Pride has been a very difficult thing to deal with, I know!

Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer