Friday, January 15, 2010

Do Hard Things - Personalized

Good Afternoon! I'd like to start out my post today, by saying "Thank you" to all of you who left kind, thoughtful comments on my blog. It is good to meet all of you friends and followers! Also, one big hug to my new aunt, Lynnette, for so kindly thinking of me and featuring me on her blog along with my Momma

Are you familiar with the book Do Hard Things? Well, regardless of whether or not you have read the book, I'm sure most of you have at least heard of it. Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris, is a wonderful book. With an inspiring call to action for this generation, the book challenges teens to rebel against the low expectations set by today's culture.

"Do Hard Things is thee Harris twins' revolutionary message in it's purest and most compelling form, giving readers a tangible glimpse of what is possible for teens who actively resist cultural lies that limit their potential."

Although Do Hard Things is a wonderful book and I whole-heartedly encourage every young person to read it, I think that there is a sub topic that is hardly touched upon...While the Harris twins are inspiring, encouraging, and instilling vision into teens to rebel against low expectations and live for Jesus Christ, doing BIG things for Him, I also feel that it is important to look at the other message to Do Hard Things.

We all want to do big things for God; become a recording artist, write a book, start ministries. Big glamorous things. And while big, exciting things are wonderful, what about the not-so-glamorous? When perhaps we may not be noticed, or it might not be adventurous, are we still willing to do hard things"?

Getting to the main object of this post, What about doing hard things when it doesn't not relate to a fantastical vision for the furthering of the Gospel?
I have always dreamed BIG dreams. A lack of dreams is most definitely NOT an issue for me. Living in a fantastical world of dreams for the future has always held great comfort.
Personally, I ask myself: "What about doing hard things in 'real' life?" Of course we all want to do "Hard"(cool, glamorous) things for God, but what about when it means doing chores for a sick sibling, catching up on that long-ignored stack of homework, and controlling anger? What about when doing hard things means sacrificing something you love(youth group, TV, music), overcoming procrastination, bringing your thoughts into captivity, bringing lust under control, or learning to trust in God's sovereign plan for your life? What about those hard things? Spurred on through the book, I have lately been working on hard things in my life, on a every-day level along with the spiritual level...

Even when the "things" are painful and really, truly "hard"; When things are a drag and not in the least bit "fun", will we(I) still do hard things?

I challenge you. I challenge you to evaluate your every-day life, and work on a personal level to Do Hard Things!

What Hard Thing are you doing?

Through the power and blood of the cross,
Josh

17 comments:

Amber Noella said...

I've read some of the book. It is really hard to do hard things, especially when we really don't want to do em.

Lexi said...

Hey Josh! I LOVE the DO Hard Things book. I actually was able to attend their conference this fall in D.C. It was absolutely amazing and I got to meet them! =)

Keep spreading the word about it, because more people need to hear about it!

Blessings,
Lexi

Hannah Nicole said...

Josh,

I LOVE the Do Hard Things book--after reading it, it inspired and challenged me so much. Thanks for an awesome post, and a great reminder.

Blessings,

Hannah

Charity Nee said...

Great post Josh!! I haven't read the Do Hard Things book yet but i'm getting it from the library! Amber has a good point - it's really hard to do hard things... but with God's grace we will win the battle.
Thanks for an encouraging post!

Ben McCarthy said...

I have heard of the book... haven't read it yet though. From what it sounds though, I just might have to get it! Unfortunately I'm not that big of a reader, but if I like the book, I can usually work through it. Ha. But this point is definitely a true point though of to do hard things. Ultimately, it is soo worth it. Matthew 16:24, Mark 8:34. Take up your cross and deny yourself

Kelsianne said...

I think school work, chores, and so forth, could be classified as "small hard things"
This is probably one of the harder ones to tackle! It's hard to be motivated to do things that will only last a little while such as making your bed. I certainly struggle with this sometimes! All the great, Rebelutionary stuff begins here at home, where it really matters. Once we are working hard and being diligent at home, that's when we are ready to go out in the world and "Do Hard Things" for God. Thank-you for the reminder Josh!
God Bless,
Kelsey

Jason Hunsicker said...

Wow...amen brother. I could not agree more. This is something that is desperately needed in the younger generations, as well as the older ones.

Kade said...

yeah, i get wrapped in the BIG THINGS a lot...

Holly said...

I actually haven't heard of the book but it sounds like it would be a good one for many teenagers to read. I prolly could've used it back then! I actually think it's the 'little things' that are harder to overcome.

Linda said...

Josh, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. You seem so much like my grandson Jared in so many ways. Both of you are fine young Christian men.

I am glad that your "Aunt" Lynnette featured your blog as well as your mom's. I enjoyed reading both of them.

The book "Do Hard Things", sounds like a good one. I may read it and suggest it to a couple more of myt grandsons. Thanks for sharing about it.

God Bless You Today Josh!

(Grandma) Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Vanessa said...

Great post Josh. That is so very true, we all have those BIG dreams (at least I do), and we want to do something BIG instead of just doing the small things. Everything starts out small, and then when God sees that we can handle that matter, he will bless us and reward us with some greater task.

BTW, I haven't been on your blog in about 3 days, and I noticed that you had some new posts up, and the one about you getting your very first ticket struck me! Sorry about that! :( I can just imagine how nerve racking that must be...:O Well, at least you didn't do anything terribly bad!

Have a blessed weekend!

Your sister IN Christ,

Vanessa

Olivia said...

Hey Josh,
I saw your link on Mrs. Kraft's blog and headed over here (isn't she AMAZING?!?!?).

I can totally relate to having big dreams. I am a big dreamer, but I struggle with doing the little things that lead up to my dreams. Doing "hard things" is just plain hard and for me, it's hard to just get going and buckle down and do what needs to be done.

Great post and I'll definitely be back in the future! God bless!

In Christ,
Olivia

Steve said...

Hi Josh,

My daughter (17), and I attended the "DHT" tour during their Chicago stop last summer. We really enjoyed it, she recommends the book to everyone she can.

Stay strong in the LORD...

Strength and Honor,
Steve Fuentes

Kaitlin said...

I have read Do Hard Things,twice actually-(ahem) lol and I will probably read it again...I usually read all my books more than once.=)

Any way,Do Hard things was really good,even though I am only 12 and a half.
I have thought about that too,doing all the smaller things,that are still very hard.I have a hard time controlling my anger sometimes,and even if I don't yell,or show my anger,I am in a bad mood...I think it had gotten a little worse lately.=( I try very hard,but sometimes I can't help but get mad.Will you please pray for me?And have you ever had a problem with your anger?


Blessings,
Kaitlin

Kyrie said...

Wow... That's some really great stuff Josh. I REALLY want to read that book! I'm hoping I can make a trip to the library soon, then try to catch up with y'all on Beyond the Cover! Hmm...
You made some really great points - I too think that the hardest "hard things" are RARELY the biggest! In fact, some of the ones that you mentioned were some that I tend to struggle with most (maybe the Lord is telling me something... ? ;) )
Oh, I found your Mom's blog today by chance, and can't wait to start 'exploring' it!
Thanks! Take care my friend!

SOLI DEO GLORIA!

-Kyrie<><

Cindi said...

I had never heard of this book. Although you say it is written for teens, it sounds lie it would be a good read for any Christian striving to live a more surrenered life for Christ. So glad I hopped ver here from Lynnette's blog! Hsve a great day.

Janai Fuentes said...

Do Hard Things is a very good book (I've read it twice and still browse through it)! I actually went to one of their conferences with my dad (aka- "TMD" aka- "Steve Fuentes") and with two of my friends and WOW it was so powerful being there with alot of other teens who wanted to live a lifestyle that is different then what the world is offering!

God bless,
Janai