Personally, the year of 2009 has been wonderful. As for me, I have had the chance to do new things, climb to new heights, and live another wonderful year with my family enjoying the world that God created. This past year, with abundant sources of learning experiences, I have also had huge growth in my spiritual life. A year full of training and molding, to help shape me into the person that God wants to be.
I'm supposed to write a list of all my resolutions for the coming year, correct? Well, I always have written one in previous years(even though I can't even remember two things on my list from '09). Although I haven't actually sat down to right one up (yet), I have a pretty good idea of what the list would contain.
I could go on and on, because I always think BIG in my mind and I still contain that child-ish tendency to dream the impossible. Believe the impossible. Live the impossible!
But simply, I seek to grow in the Lord and become the faithful servant that He wants me to be. My desire is to draw ever nearer to Him, and
"Walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; Giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light." Colossians 1:10-12
Have no doubt that I could invent simply fantastic goals for this next year of my life. But, if I conjure plans of my own, how can I be available to serve the Lord? How can I be ready to take up my cross and follow Him if I have my own goals and plans? Nevertheless, I have a few goals into which I will mention here.
God has given me a heart for orphans. Specifically, children living in third-world countries. These children go multiple days without a meal. The mix together, water, flour, and mud for something to ease their hunger pains. Many are living on the streets or in dumps. Did you know that many orphans do not even own a pair of shoes? Do you know of any women (or man) who's closet floor is not littered with shoes of all colors and styles?! I am only pointing out that while most Americans are living in comfort, enjoying a life of relative ease, and taking it all for granted, there ARE children in the world who are alone, homeless, scared, literally starving, and don't even own a pair of shoes to put on their feet.
I so long to reach out and help them and share with them also, the hope that comes from knowing Jesus Christ.
"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit the orphans and widows in their trouble..." James 1:27
Perhaps I will go on a mission trip or donate to a ministry for them...
As you may know, I am reading Do Hard Things. Well, if that book is not a call to action, I don't know what is. The whole book encourages teen to rebel against the low expectations that the world has set for young adults. I aim to do exactly this! Anyone want to join me?!
After all of my rambling, I suppose that I will sum it up with this. My desire is to be wholly consecrated to the Lord, and the able hands and feet of Jesus Christ. (I should have just said that at the beginning of my post!)
What are your New Year resolutions?
Soli Deo Gloria,
Josh
11 comments:
Happy New Year Josh! It sounds like you have the right perspective. I believe our only real and definite plans should be to serve Christ and strive to please him more and more each day. Proverbs 19:21 "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."
Oh yeah.
I get excited when I see young people loving the Lord, loving their family, and having the right perspective in life. Therefore, I get excited when I read your blog - because God is seen so clearly on your blog pages.
Blessings and Happy New Year!!!
AWESOME post Josh!! I will so join you in the fight against low expectations. I also have a heart for children in 3rd World countries and started an organization which raises money to build wells in Africa and India. We wre able to raise enough to build a well for Christmas in Sudan!!!!
Happy New Year Josh! Think the impossible. Live the impossible. Be the change.
Blessings,
Lexi
Hey Josh! If you are searching for organizations, we have a great one started by a member of our church - for orphans in the Philipines (sp?) anyway, a great organization and mission. let me know!
Josh, this post and the post before this really got me thinking. I was going to comment yesterday, however, I kinda ran out of time! ;) Thus, what I wanted to say was that for me, 2009was quite challenging in many areas and also amazing in others. Just like you mentioned how trials just strengthen us and draw us closer to the Lord, I really could hear your anguish and the seriousness within the words. As I reflect upon the old year today I see so many things where I failed in, and yet it was not a failure because it was a moment where God had me at my final breath, I was able of falling into His arms then, because I was walking on faith alone. Probably the greatest lesson the Lord has taught me this past year was to just fully rely upon Him and to forget the past and don't let it play with my mind; because the devil really enjoys messing with me over and over again. I really appreciate your blog, your posts, and how real they are. It shows a young person in his struggles and also in his praises. It's great because it's reality and you are completely humbling yourself, coming to the essence of nothing! What a testimony this is to everyone. I know this comment is pretty random, just something which touched me as I read your post yesterday and part of the one today!
Have a lovely New Year!
A sister in the Lord,
Vanessa
Happy New Year, Josh! I pray that this year will be one of joy and blessing for you from our King. God bless!
In HIM,
Rachel
hey, don't let emilyk21 win you to her side! haha
i started a new blog for a new decade. go to life savior to hear all about it!
god bless,
kade
What great resolutions Josh! Isn't it awesome to be able to face a new year and decade with hope? (even amidst the trials around us) What a great God we serve. Miss you all tons.
~Bethany~
Happy New Year Josh!
Great post. Very encouraging. It is definitely true that the only real resolution we should have is to let Christ give us resolutions, and then aspire to live them out to the best of our ability. As you said, "...if I conjure plans of my own, how can I be available to serve the Lord? How can I be ready to take up my cross and follow Him if I have my own goals and plans?"
Thanks for the great post. I'll be back. :)
--Abigail
Rear Window
Josh you are and are going to be doing wonderful things for the Lord in your life. You are such a blessing! In him Catherine
When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply
The flame shall not hurt thee I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine
The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I will not, desert to it’s foes
That soul, though all hell, should endeavor to shake
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake
I love you sooooo much, and look forward to all that God will do through you!
Post a Comment