Monday evening, we had our first fire in the wood stove for the year. Need I say more? Autumn has come. From the tilled garden, to the shortened daylight hours, everything declares the presence of Fall.
Mom has retrieved some of her favorite candles from the back of the cupboards, filling the home with smells of Pumpkin Pie and Maple Sugar. The Does have been bred and are slowing down milk production, while the cow's belly begins to deepen; evidence of the growing calf inside. Carhartts, coats and clothes for the cold weather have been dug out of storage, and we will soon be filling the barn with wood in earnest. There is a crispness in the air, and the dying leaves are creating brilliant schemes of vivid colors.

I always marvel at the beauty a dying leaf can bestow. Isn't God creative?
Josh
14 comments:
Oh I love this time of the year! It looks like it's going to be a pretty autumn this year, as long as it doesn't get stormy and blow all the leaves off the trees! I LOVE Michigan. :)
~Bethany~
Great post
Caleb
Oh yes, I can smell fall in the air! Where I live everything is red, orange, and yellow! The weather is SO cold for this time of year, snow suspected tomorrow! :O I love this time of year although, a time where everyone is closer together in the home, around the fire and candles!
Vanessa
It seems impossible for scientist to study creation, and admit anything but a creator!
This post really gets me into a "fall mood" :)
Thank-you for sharing.
Kelsey
It is interesting that you would be talking about the fall weather, because it does smell like fall. We had our first rain of the fall season with probably a few more rainy days to come during the season. Instead of snow like you guys have, we have rain. We don't get a lot of rain, but it is just enough. Snow is only found up in the mountains. I would say the most beautiful sight in the Winter season in So Cal is viewing the mountains capped with pure, white snow. It is an absolutely gorgeous sight. I cannot wait for Winter. The crisp cool days of Winter and the beautiful sight of the mountains. Can't wait. Thanks for letting me ramble Josh. Talk to you later.
In Christ,
Joshua :)
That is such a cute picture!!! Those doughnuts look so good. I love the feeling of Autumn too.
I love the pics, Josh, especially the pumkin and the doughnuts! It smells like fall in the air over here in Texas, it's just still 90 degrees. (Well, today. Usually it only gets up to 80 or so in the fall here. We are supposed to get a cold front in very soon.)We get rain and ice/sleet in the fall/winter seasons here, but very little snow. As of tommorow, we are going camping with our church group so we can more fully enjoy the fall. :) I cannot wait to eat some pumkin soup...
Great post!
He Reigns,
Patrick
Next time your family makes those donuts, can you get your mom to call me up to come over for a cup of tea??? Yum!
Love how you describe things, Josh. :) Yum! The donuts sound so yummy! Yes, autumn smells, rain and candles go together so well. *sigh*
Am blessed and encouraged by your blog.
Blessings,
Your Sister in Christ,
~Miss Raquel
P.S. Our does are bred too! We actually have some that are due fairly early, but others are sometime in March/April. I can't wait to have some "new" kids running around! :) This year's are already so big! How many do you have (approximately) a year? How long have you had goats?
You also are closing in on your 100th post. 4 more to go.
In Christ,
Joshua :)
I love the picture of you and your siblings(the barn back drop is just awesome), and what lovely names. Fall is such a fun time, and I just want to grab one of those donuts :).It's a great post, thanks for sharing. Marci
Bethany, Caleb, Vanessa, Kelsey, Joshua, Michele, Patrick, Mrs. M and Marci,
Thank you very much for the comments! I love hearing from you:)
Miss Raquel,
We are freshening 10 Does this spring, so we could easily have 20 kids needing bottles 3 times a day. Lord spare us!
We purchased our first goat almost five years ago, but we were not "serious" until 2007. So realistically, about two years!
God Bless you all,
Josh
Ah, you're making me jealous.
We moved to the Middle East three years ago, and the time I get homesick has always been fall. October has been my favorite month for as long as I can remember. Last year we were blessed by being able to go and visit my dad's side of the family in the fall - in Virginia, which was absolutely gorgeous - and nippy air... and pumpkin pie, and I managed to get my hands on a cinnamon donut - fall isn't fall until one has had a cinnamon donut.
And the leaves... while all we have here is heat and sand.
But in the winter, I wouldn't give the irregular rains and cookouts in the desert for anything. :)
Post a Comment